Top Shelf Aquatics

How Cheap can I build a MH setup?

flyboy01

I am now wanting to do a MH setup, I see all those cool setups on smaller tanks and now I want one too. I am a noob, I dont know what I need. I am thinking about either a 70 watt or a 150 watt, I plan to make a hood and keep the 130 watts of PC in the hood. The tank is 18" deep, but most corals are not more than 14" from the light.

What do I need and where to go get it? Thanks.

What you need.. Ballast, Reflector, Bulb. I am going to assume you are going to go with DE often referred to as HQI, then you will need UV resisitant glass [found at glass shops/I believe Home Depot or Lowes too] but you want to make sure its tempered UV resistant.

If you check here in the classifieds there is someone by the name of Lamp Dr. [Jorge] that sells kits that about plug n play. Youd have to work out the fixture though.

Tam

Originally posted by darkspyda

you will need UV resisitant glass [found at glass shops/I believe Home Depot or Lowes too] but you want to make sure its tempered UV resistant.

Tam

OK now I'm lost, what do I need UV resistant glass for? I have an acrylic aquarium, do I have to change to a glass tank?

BKtomodachi

The UV glass is basically a "filter" that you put under the bulb so that the UV light that comes out of double ended bulbs doesnt fry your corals.

Excuse the dumb questions.

So you are saying that if I get a single ended (screw in) bulb, it does not need a UV glass filter?

matt the fiddler

watch the classifieds for deals. will save you up to 50% :)

yes single ended bulbs need no extra UV protection.

if you are makign our own hood., i woudl go single ended bulbs.... here is why..

1- SE ballasts are 20-30% cheaper than the HQI counterparts

2- more possibilities of bulb choice

3- no UV shielding glass needed..

4- EASIER to retrofit into a DIY hood [i DID]

5- safer to your eyes if you don't get all the light shielded... DE/ HQI light is VERY VERY VERY dangerous to your corals, skin, and vision.

only big reasons to go HQI- is if you are particualrry fond of some of the bulbs, or are incredibly tight on space. you pay for the compact size though......

i got my 250W halide setup [bulb reflector ballast] for less than $70...

chieferich

look at my 20000k post i made recently.

i ordered a pfo 175w ballast and 20000k XM, reflector/mogul shipped for 175$

i love it so far...just had to build a hood.

I found a (Lithonia GRSH 70M 9 120/277 MED HSG) 70W Metal Halide BALLAST and SOCKET for $12.00. Is this a good deal? Where can I get a 10K or 14K screw in bulb for it? It says that the ballast is designed to light a 70W type M98 or 75W type M101 Metal Halide light bulb.

That type M98 and M101 is an (I think) ANSI code for a standard bulb type. Stay in that type and you can use whatever you want.

Ballast and socket for $12? Impossible.

Link me, I'll take a dozen. :)

matt the fiddler

flyboy- of you can get several at that price $12.00.. hook me up for 4 or 5 of them as well. :) i will use them to power my fuges/ sump/ etc.

now that is single ended 70w ??? didn't knwo any single ended exists at that wattage..

mabye i am dumb and flipping the numbers in my head.

I was only able to find 3800 kelvin bulbs at that wattage. :( I was hoping someone else knows if there are any other bulbs. If you really want, the guy has 12 of these fixtures.

matt the fiddler

pm me the details.. please... i want to at least check out this guys listing...

if it is a HQI ballast- there are gobs of bulbs out there- not sure what there is in terms of SE 70 watt....

I have been checking, there are no se screw in bulbs available other than 3800k, they are cheap, but not for aquaruims.

Here are some detailed pics, If anybody can find some lamps for it, I am going to buy one. Hell its probably worth that for the socket alone. I will be happy to share this source with you all too.

grsh70ballastlabel.jpg

grshballastsocket.jpg

matt the fiddler

70 watt halide ansi cods

M85 - 70 watt MH (double-ended and BiPin lamps)

M98 - 70 watt MH (standard, pulse start, and operates some double - ended and BiPin lamps)

M139 - 70 watt MH (ceramic metal halide, some double - ended, and some BiPin lamps)

Iwasaki makes a 70w 6500K SE MH bulb..;)

IMO, I wouldnt run a SE bulb on a nano...too much heat. DE bulbs run cooler...less evaporation.

Archived