Pod Your Reef

10 gallon Starfire build!

CatfishSoupFTW

CatfishSoupFTW

I can relate to that.. 10 pounds of live rock took up a whole lot of space in my standard 10. Upgrading to a custom 35 with a 20L sump. Using my 10 for ATO. Can I ask why you chose the par from AK over Fragbox?

I was new to reefing, and so when I bought the PAR 38 from AK, it was about 14K lighting which is too white for what I wanted. Fragbox, at the time I didnt know was a store front (more or less haha ) and so I bought the AK bulb for the sake of avoiding online.

I quickly replaced this bulb with a PAR38 from Advanced reef aquatics in milton. 18 diodes I believe...

this one.

http://www.advancedreefaquatics.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=636

a great light, I love it. 16-18K lighting. I blocked two of the white LEDs to make it a bit more on the blue side. I also did a DIY moonlight with some ebay leds and so far so good. been seeing good growth.

If i were a bit more educated at the time, you could say maybe I would have bought everything from Marcelo. I regret buying the bulbs from AK (that and i dont dig their customer service) , and if you're on GTAA, you'll see they have been on the classifieds for a while. The fragbox lights would be a good competitor I feel against the one i got from Advanced reef aquatics, so I dont know which i would recommend between the two.

Now though, in a few months time, id like to go Kessil or Nanobox, only because of the programability, and effects, but its not to say the par38 isnt a great light, especially on a tight budget. Just eyeing more fancy stuff and ways to spend money it seems. -__-

I was new to reefing, and so when I bought the PAR 38 from AK, it was about 14K lighting which is too white for what I wanted. Fragbox, at the time I didnt know was a store front (more or less haha ) and so I bought the AK bulb for the sake of avoiding online.

I quickly replaced this bulb with a PAR38 from Advanced reef aquatics in milton. 18 diodes I believe...

this one.

http://www.advancedreefaquatics.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=636

a great light, I love it. 16-18K lighting. I blocked two of the white LEDs to make it a bit more on the blue side. I also did a DIY moonlight with some ebay leds and so far so good. been seeing good growth.

If i were a bit more educated at the time, you could say maybe I would have bought everything from Marcelo. I regret buying the bulbs from AK (that and i dont dig their customer service) , and if you're on GTAA, you'll see they have been on the classifieds for a while. The fragbox lights would be a good competitor I feel against the one i got from Advanced reef aquatics, so I dont know which i would recommend between the two.

Now though, in a few months time, id like to go Kessil or Nanobox, only because of the programability, and effects, but its not to say the par38 isnt a great light, especially on a tight budget. Just eyeing more fancy stuff and ways to spend money it seems. -__-

Wow a Par38 with 18 leds! Never seen that before! I would think 4 extra white LEDs would be a little too white though. I could second AK's service.. really horrible and I find their fish extremely overpriced. Have you got any corals from Marcelo? I just got one of the Reef Breeders he uses on his frag tanks and I'm really digging the growth but I too find the fixtures too white. Ill use it on my custom 35 until i can afford a Nanobox Quad. Im also debating my lighting for my 7 gallon cube from AI.. Between Kessil, Nanobox and a Par 38.

• 2 weeks later...
CatfishSoupFTW

Wow a Par38 with 18 leds! Never seen that before! I would think 4 extra white LEDs would be a little too white though. I could second AK's service.. really horrible and I find their fish extremely overpriced. Have you got any corals from Marcelo? I just got one of the Reef Breeders he uses on his frag tanks and I'm really digging the growth but I too find the fixtures too white. Ill use it on my custom 35 until i can afford a Nanobox Quad. Im also debating my lighting for my 7 gallon cube from AI.. Between Kessil, Nanobox and a Par 38.

most of my corals are from Marcelo, and some from coral reef shop, and some from canada corals. yeah the par38 is pretty interesting! i blocked out some of the white LEDs (just two of them) with electrical tape, so it comes out a bit more blue. i love it.

as for lighting, I here yeah. I love my par38 for performance vs price sort of things... but kessil vs nanobox duo is my next thing im eyeing when it comes to hardware. I just dont know which. the kessil, is pricy, the A160we, but its fair for the price. but then i google about nanobox vs kessil, and people always say nanobox. :S double the price more or less, but the fact that they are custom justifies quite a bit.

Archived