SaltCritters.com

Difference Reef, FOWLR, Anenomes.

cirionrc

Ok, I have all the equipment to start a reef system and was thinking. Well, all it is a bunch of live rock with little pieces of coral to attach to the rock right. It is pretty much a coral covered live rock right? Could I buy a piece of coral and add it to the live rock right now since I now have appropriate lighting? Well what about anenomes, can I put anenomes in a FOWLR tank? What do they anenomes require to live? Why can't you put certain fish with coral? It is just live having live rock in the tank right? For instance why don't people put lions in a reef tank? Why do I always see just clowns in a reef tank? I have 1 snowflake moray, 1 lion, and 1 koran angel, and one clown. Can anenomes be added to this?

Fishiebusiness

What kind of lighting did you get and what size is your tank?

Anemones light and good water parameters to live.

You cant have certain fish in reefs because they might eat corals.

FWIW, Unless u dedicate yer tank to taking care of the anemones w/ lighting and foods, you are destined to failure. Anemones are NOT the easiest to keep. Even in my vast experiences, I dont keep them. I have 1 tanks that has a carpet Stichotic..... 250 W halide and it still suffers. IME... leave them in the ocean, they do more good there. There are MANY corals that make great homes cor fish. Do a little more research, you will be amazed.

Well, I have a 72 gallon, and the lighting I ordered was the 36" 4 bulb VHO setup. Up to 410w. About fish eating corals. I know they eat polyps and thing but you are talking about the actual rock like coral? Please give me some examples of fish that cannot live in a reef system and some that can?

see my previous reply... do some reading...

I Know Im a dick, but read some threads and get creative with the SEARCH function. If U set up a tank, set it Up to keep either FISH OR REEF... If U want both, then Proper reef husbandry MUST be learned...... Ive Flamed enough dopes on this subject.. ther is a LOT of threads on what to keep. ttyl !

Some fish are not considered reef safe because they will eat other commonly kept animals like shrimp and small fish (your lion and eel are in this catagory), or they will eat or harass other inverts like featherduster worms and certain corals (your angel is in this one)....or because the fish are big eaters, very messy with a high waste load.....(this one holds your angel, lion and eel).

Reef tanks require pristine water conditions for the corals to survive and you are going to have an impossible job trying to get there with all those big waste makers. Thats why most people keep a light fish load of very small fish in their tanks.

Good fish to have are firefish, royal grammas, tangs (I know they are big, but they eat algae and will help to keep the tank clean), six-line wrasse, clowns, chromis, etc.....

Anemones have different requirements than most corals. It would be an extremely good idea to get some experience with corals first before you even attempt to keep an anemone. There is a very good article on anemones in the October 2002 Aquarium Fish Magazine by Dr. Shimek. Anyone interested in anemones should read this article before buying one.

HTH

i agree with dave and fishymissy; anenomes are typically the most difficult animals to keep (esp. carpet anenomes imo).

if you have the experience, setup, and patience for successfully raising sps then you have a good chance at rearing anenomes. otherwise more often than not it's an inevitable demise of the animal.

Archived