Pod Your Reef

my new cleaner shrimp

Metznreef

i just got a new cleaner shrimp today which is about 3 and 1/2 inces long. my dottyback keeps picking at it but the shrimp seems to be defending itself pretty well. the fish does get a nip in at it once in a while though. do you think the aggression of the fish will subside? the shrimp is bigger than the fish. i have read that dottyback go after small ornamental shrimp but i thought it meant like sexy and anemone shrimp.

Dotties are fairly territorial so this is kinda common. It will usually subside after a day or two but if it continues you may think about moving one or getting rid of one. He may not let up. The dotty is trying to defend his "home" and will do this to put the shrimp in his place.

Your chances are good that he will stop.

Cameron

My damsel used to go after my skunk when I first got him but both became buddies almost immediately afterwards. Just give it some time, they should both be fine.

yeah the dotty is starting to leave him alone already. whenever the fish gets near him the shrimp puts his tentacle things all up in the fish's face which makes him stop. the light just went out so we will see what happens tommorrow.:)

Archived