Cultivated Reef

What chiller should I buy?

Polarcollision

Polarcollision

What size Arctica chiller do I need to cool 24 gallons 20 degrees?

The 1/15 says it's for 40 gallons, but I can't find any info on how many degrees it can lower 40 gallons.

I assume JBJ Arctica is the chiller with the best reliability?

Polarcollision

OK, so when room temperature is 70 degrees the tank temp starts rising to 79.5 from the heater set point of 78.5. If we're expecting 90 degree days this summer then I need a chiller that can drop the tank 20 degrees, right?

The 1/10 HP JBJ can drop 30 gallons 30 degrees. Seems like more than enough.

The 1/15 HP JBJ can drop 20 gallons 20 degrees. This seems like the weakest chiller to get.

The 1/13 HP Aqua Euro can drop 30 gallons 20 degrees. A nice middle ground that costs the same as the 1/15 JBJ.

I'm thinking to go with the 1/13 Aqua Euro unless you all think the brand is unreliable.

What do you think? Am I missing anything?

• 2 weeks later...
kalireefer

I'm currently looking for a chiller as well, and figure it would be a good call for me to setup one before the real heat of summer rolls in. Hope someone chimes in with some info on their chiller setup. Thanks in advance. I believe they need a supply pump too...

Polarcollision

I ended up choosing the aqua Euro 1/13 HP after calling Arctica. They were very helpful in helping calculate the watts of heat introduced into the tank to zero in on the power of chiller needed. Haven't purchased yet, hoping owners can give reviews of reliability.

Archived