Coral Vue Hydros

Lighting for soft corals/zoos?

holyherbiness

holyherbiness

Hey, I am thinking of a soft coral system in my 10 AGA aquarium. Things such as zooanthids and other softies. I am debating which lighting system is sufficient for soft corals. I am not trying to spend a fortune on the lighting and was wondering if softies could be kept in a 40w fixture. Can you help me out?

1) Coralife Aqualight 20" 96W powerquad: 100ish dollars

2) Current USA orbit 20" 80W: 120ish dollars

3) Current USA satellite single 40W: 50ish dollars

4) Current USA satellite dual 40Wx2=80W: 100ish dollars

5) MH out of the question (too expensive)

I was wondering if choice 3 (40w total) would be sufficient in sustaining a healthy soft coral aquarium, as it is also the cheapest. Since it lacks a fan, would you recommend that I purchase the legs accessory for it?

also, which would you prefer, choice 1 or choice 4? How about choices 3 and 4 (seem roughly equivalent except for looks).

Thanks in advance

holyherbiness

Thanks for the speedy reply mlaw

any other opinions?

keep in mind, I don't expect myself to upgrade to sps or lps anytime soon.

holyherbiness

I've heard some bad things about the Aqualight 96W, such as the ballast is of poor quality, the fan is ineffective, and some others. However, since I have never seen the unit personally or used it, I cannot back up these assertions with evidence.

What about the Current USA choices?

xien2000corp

then dont get an aqualight :)

pfo makes an EXCELLENT ballast. you can use any 96 watt ballast to power a 96 watt quad bulb, you could even build your own which will save you money.

check out places like hellolights for ballasts and the parts that you need. :)

hth, steve

holyherbiness

Okay, my real question is:

Will I be able to support most soft corals with a 40W current usa satellite in a 10 gallon? Mainly interested in zoos, mushrooms, xenia, other easy to keep softies.

kris_willard

SHould be ok but the more light the better the corals look, I would go with choice 4 if it has 2 plug in that way you can create the dusk/dawn effect.

Archived