ReefCleaners.org

Diamond Goby - Jumping Ship

slomustang

slomustang

Okay, I have a bit of a dilemma.

I've had two (2) Diamond Gobies and unfortunately both have jumped out of my 40 gallon. I take full responsibility for the first one, as I didn't have adequate cover over the tank.

Before I bought another one, I had Tap Plastics make a nice cover for the two main slots over the tank (acrylic tank and cover). I purchased another Diamond and actually witnessed him make a missile of himself and hit the cover. No damage done and he was still in the tank.

Fast forward a month. Unfortunately, I noticed the sand was a bit green today and didn't see him sifting around the tank. Finally, I found his dried up carcass (:( ) below the tank.

I'm trying to determine how/where he jumped out of the tank. I'm thinking it may be the slot in the back (where filters/skimmers go). It's about 6x1". Does this sound feasible?

I'd like to try another Diamond, but want to make sure I do the best I can to provide a safe tank for him. Any suggestions about shoring up my defense or should I just stay away from them completely?

Diamond gobies will jump out of the tank through any hole they can fit there body threw. Some times they do, sometimes they don't. That's too bad it has happened twice. They usually do it if they are being spooked by something. (like a fish).

I've even herd of them jumping right into overflows and external filters.

Its just acclimation stress. maybe try getting a smaller one and being reel careful when putting it in the tank.

oh yah!! what size tank are you putting it in. They hate nano's sometimes. Usually do better in like 20+ gal tanks

slomustang

40 gallon.

He was doing fine for a month. Does it take longer for them to acclimate? His tank mates are/were a clown and an anthia.

I guess I have to cover all of the openings. . .

dodgerblew

Welcome to the club! I went through three. First one jumped out first night. My fault, didn't cover. Second one went through overflow and then jumped from overflow. Third one, never did find. Tok a year off, then went with BD Jawfish. This is an awesome fish but also a notorious jumper. I screened off the overflow and use cover. He still jumps over the minute space between top of screen and goes into my refugium/sump where its happy as can be. I've moved him back into main tank at least 10 times but within 2 days it's back in its rock cave down below. So i gave up and it lives in their where it can jump out whenever it wants and never does. I'm going on 6 months. Moral: Sand sifters are beautiful but a risk. If you can get them to adjust, they are an awesome addition. Good luck:)

slomustang

Thanks for the replies. I now have a better plan of attack. I'm going to be adding a overflow and sump soon, so I may wait until that is in place to buy another Diamond.

I'm in the Bay Area.

try the blue spotted ladder goby...same body size and shape, but the body is all white and it has really pretty blue spots on the jaws...i lost my diamond to the same ill fate, he jumped into the filter portion of my jbj nano and chilled there for a few days until i tore everything apart and rigged a really cool net to get him out, but then one morning, i woke up to a crispy critter on my desk...it jumped out one night and died a dry death on my desktop :( since then, i bought a blue spotted ladder and he was great, did the same sifting job, kept everything clean, and maintained well in my nano...and best part is....no jumping!!!

I have the best jumping Goby story!

I bought a new fish one Sunday night, a Diamond Goby. Got it home, was acclimating it, and when I got ready to add a little more water I sppoked it and it jumped out.

Right onto the floor....in front of my 2 1/2 year lod Lab, Gretchen.

Before I could react, she chomped...and swallowed it whole!

Of course I yelled and tried to force her to spit it out, it was too late.

To think, I pay $32 for a bag of good dog food, that lasts a month and a half. She had herself a $25 snack. AND SHE WAS BEGGING FOR MORE! The *****!

True story, happened 2 months ago.

dodgerblew
Originally posted by flyboy01

I have the best jumping Goby story!

I bought a new fish one Sunday night, a Diamond Goby. Got it home, was acclimating it, and when I got ready to add a little more water I sppoked it and it jumped out.  

Right onto the floor....in front of my 2 1/2 year lod Lab, Gretchen.  

Before I could react, she chomped...and swallowed it whole!

Of course I yelled and tried to force her to spit it out, it was too late.  

To think, I pay $32 for a bag of good dog food, that lasts a month and a half. She had herself a $25 snack. AND SHE WAS BEGGING FOR MORE! The *****!

True story, happened 2 months ago.

That's a great story. Ya know if your lab was well trained, she shoulda picked it up and brought it to you:D LOL

dodgerblew
Originally posted by ifynanceu

try the blue spotted ladder goby

Hey Josh...can you get me one for my nano. LMK

Archived