Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

media basket for spec v?

makokak

Ordered intank media basket for fluval spec v. My question was, the one that arrived was a little small to the filter area, so it was off by a 1/4 inch each side. for that i needed to put something on both side just to keep the basket pressed to the plastic grill divider.

Is it supposed to be like that?

Mine is like that too. Idk I don't have any issues with filtration. My water is clear and my nitrates are low. I thought the same thing. Don't lose sleep over it!

Same here. Mine's freshwater but the water gets filtered nicely. Although the surface skimmer I wish would have been designed to block the two intake grills on the ends, I keep mine on its lowest setting and try to keep water just barely above the middle openings, but it seems like most water slips in underneath on the sides.

I have a Hydor Rotating Deflector attached to my return pump and my surface skimming is so good, that I don't even use the inTank skimmer. It doesn't allow water in fast enough in my tank. I don't have any other wave pumps or anything either.

Ordered intank media basket for fluval spec v. My question was, the one that arrived was a little small to the filter area, so it was off by a 1/4 inch each side. for that i needed to put something on both side just to keep the basket pressed to the plastic grill divider.

Is it supposed to be like that?

The basket is the maximum size it can be while still allowing fitment into the chamber, around silicone and the plastic molding piece on top, and allow a small tolerance from one tank build to the other. Once installed the basket has about 3/16" total of room from from to back.

The basket is to be installed with the rear wall towards the intake grate and the removable door to the rear of the aquarium. Using the surface skimmer the basket will be pressed tight up and held against the false wall and the intake grate.

Same here. Mine's freshwater but the water gets filtered nicely. Although the surface skimmer I wish would have been designed to block the two intake grills on the ends, I keep mine on its lowest setting and try to keep water just barely above the middle openings, but it seems like most water slips in underneath on the sides.

You can block the end grates if needed with silicone or other method.. There was no other way to make this piece adjustable/removable than use the two end grates for the tabs on the surface skimmer.

You can block the end grates if needed with silicone or other method.. There was no other way to make this piece adjustable/removable than use the two end grates for the tabs on the surface skimmer.

Yeah the more I look at it the more I figure if there was a better way to do it while blocking the sides it would have been built like that. However, I simply aimed my return nozzle (stock pump) slightly at the surface, it creates enough movement that no gunk forms on the surface, works for me! crystal clear. Still loving the media basket. So much better than the stock sponge.

Archived