SaltCritters.com

Need a 12 Inch Light?? Look Here!!

lgreen

Those of you who have been looking for a 12" power compact check out this light.

It is manufactered by Dr. Foster & Smith. The 12" is available at 18w or 36w.

THEY ARE ON SPECIAL RIGHT NOW!!

18w $22.39 + shipping

36w $27.99 + shipping

A good deal! I don't know if I would use the bulbs they supply though. Maybe buy some Sunpaq light bulbs with it.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...Q&N=2004+113176

some are back ordered due to high demand.

Telecaster

I ordered one of the single 36watt fixtures for a freshwater planted 10gal. tank. I'll post reviews of the fixture when I get it. If it's any good I'll order the dual 36watt and set up a 10gal. nano reef. Now back to some Maria Sharapova action.... ;)

Von digity

I ordered a 20" single 36 watt as well. It's going on my 5.5 reef. I'm going to add another ballast ( a spare one I have lying around) and add another 36 watt bulb.

Von, did you get your fixture yet? I just got mine today. Bulb seems more like a 10k than a 6,700k? I'd post pics if only I had my friggin' digital camera back from my brother. :angry:

It's been recieved at my house, I just haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Hmm, the 6500k bulb looking 10000k sounds like a good deal. I'm going to be adding an actinic to it though. I'm glad I didn't sleep on this deal.

Ok, I'm somewhat dissapointed. When I ordered, I assumed that all the fixtures used the same housing (width wise), so I could easily be able to retrofit another 36 watt bulb into the fixture. However, the 1x36 watt fixture is too small for another pc. Meaning that the dimensions they give on the webpage are off. This kinda pissed me off, but hey, it was only 30 bucks or so, and you get what you pay for.

I took the fixture apart to see what makes it kick. The bulb is labeled 6500k, but its like thermally attached to the ballast. I wonder how were susposed to replace them? buy a new canopy? I'm sure I could figure out a way to hot wire a new bulb, but it seems kinda non-user friendly for someone that wouldn't have a clue how these things work.

*edit* turns out the pc isn't thermally attached. The prongs holding it in place are just really really really tight.

I'm just going to remove the ballast completely and remotely mount a workhorse 5. I can somehow manage to fit 2 bulbs in the fixture if I scrap the reflector and bulb clips.

*Double edit*

Heres the pics

This is the fixture taken apart. You can see the ballast is directly attached to the bulb. My 2nd 36 watt pc is in the picture too.

4463newcanopyparts.jpg

Here it is retrofited with 2x36 watt pcs run off a workhorse 5 externally mounted. Notice, this fixture is really slim. I really regret not buying the 2x36 watt fixture for like 10 bucks more and just replacing one bulb with an actinic.

4463newcanopy.jpg

Archived