Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What's wrong with my Suncoral?

whadmin

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my Suncoral and how to fix it

I got it almost 3 weeks ago. I've tried feeding it everyday. I tried Cyclop-Ezze, Mysis, and Brine Shrimp. I've tried the coke bottle method of feeding aswell. I can get it to come out about 1/3 of the way. Now it's got these spots forming on it...

suncoralprob.jpg

Walter???

what time do you usually try to feed it? generally sun corals only come out at night unless fed very well or otherwise trained to do so. if they never open up and you've tried squirting some food over them and waiting for them to come out and they havnt done so, then it could be something else. how are your water paremeters? placement of the coral? do any animals in your tank mess with it or is it close to another coral that would bother it?

another method that you could try is floating a small bowl of water in your tank and putting the coral in that to feed it. i do this sometimes because my cleaner shrimp loves to try to pick the food out of it's polyps and so i can do a heavier feeding without hurting water quality. maybe this would help? just squirt some cyclop-eeze over it every once in a while to try an coax it out and maybe some other food. and try it at night.

those spots are algae growth when a suncoral isnt getting food and doesn't open up for too long then algae starts growing on it, detramental to the coral.... i sure hope you can get this fella to feed, it would be a shame to loose him.

oh yeah, sometimes they will take some food even if they arn't open all the way. has it taken any food at all yet? maybe even if it wont open yet it might still feed some.

Damn, looks like some tissue necrosis on the bottom right. This is not a good sign. Get that friggin algae off it now. If a baster won't work, try to softly remove it and use your best judgement.

I have one and it is my favorite coral, but they do require special attention. This is how I got mine from being "shy."

Turn off all flow. Grab a baster and shoot some brine shrimp juice or cyclopeeze on it. Wait... up to 30 mins and see if it opens. If it does, feed each polyp some brine shrimp or cyclopeeze. Now you are pretty much set and it should continue the next time you feed.

If the polyps refuse to open with no flow and no tempting, the last thing you can try is turning out the lights as well and repeating the process.

I hope it works out for you, they are so beautiful they are worth the work, but that guy needs food and fast!

Archived