SaltCritters.com

please help save my fish!

i am a clown fish

i am a clown fish

Hi again everyone. This morning i woke up, and i noticed that my yellow gobby, and my clown fish were colorless, and near the top of the tank. this scared me, obviously becasue i dont want my fish to die, but also that i might have a problem with my water or somthing. After i turned the light on, maybe a bout after about 20 min. or so, they startted swimming again and acting normal. I also noticed some "crap" on the sides of the yellow gobby. It looks like white grains of sand stuck to him, maybe 5 or 8 dots. Other than that everything is normal. What should i do? both fish are eating fine. Thanks everyone!

It sounds like Ich. If you catch it and treat it early enough you might save them, if not, toodles Mr. Goby. When fish rest, (when the lights are off) some turn pale and discolored but return to normal when lights go back on. more info on your system would be helpful, and try posting in (and searching) in the beginners forums.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aquaria/ich.html

i am a clown fish

thank you for that link to the treatment for the fish.

Im not really that new at keeping marine fish. I have an Eclipse 12 system with a 10 gallon sump/fuge that i build myself. i have 20lbs of live sand, and some nice sized chunks of LR. My clown fish is fine, he looks normal and everything. The yellow gobby is acting fine, he just has some (looks like grains of sand) crap on him. Would a cleaner shrimp work also? i read somthing about them cleaning the fish and stuff. should i just send him on his way down the toilet of doom? would this help my clow from getting the ich also? what other info would you like? please lemme know!

thanks again

flushing the goby will not help the clown. by the time we notice ich it is already too late to prevent infection in the whole tank. a cleaner shrimp might help but it usually takes some time for the fish to allow cleaning. the best bet is a 30 day QT with hyposalinity or copper meds. for some reason i think that clown gobies dont do well with copper so i would try the hypo. if you need ways to set up the QT please read some of the other threads in this forum on ich. most important is to determine what stressed out the fish to make them susceptible to ich, IE poor water quality, temp swings, overfeeding, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by bigbris1

Make sure that it's not actually sand on the goby.  My gobies always have sand on them when they emerge.

very sensible! BTW I find your avatar very distracting.

Archived