SaltCritters.com

eating habits of blue damsel

organicman

organicman

do they eat by day or by night? do they like bloodworms? anything in particular i should know?

please help me, somebody! my little danny wont eat anything i give him!!

thanks in advance...

well my blue damsel eats by day and i switch off feeding him frozen brine and frozen veggies (the ones you buy in cubes at pet stores). Anyway if your damsel isnt eating then he might have some sort of diesease or bloat check out the ilness section. about the blood worms im not sure if they do eat them but then again ive only been in the hobby for a year now.

hopefully you'll find some more full answers.

good luck

organicman

well. after some rock rearrgnging he seems a little less skiddish and scared. hes actually exploring a little and not just hiding-out, seeming like a really broken-hearted fish.

i think i need to get him some of the food described above today. hes still not eating the flakes (who can blame him).

thanks everyone.

organicman

back to the nibbling on hands thing -- are you SURE yellow-tailed blue damsels are aggressive like that? mine seems like a real sweetheart.

maybe he is really badly ill...hope not.

damsels are known to be a very pushy fish... and boy can they be MEAN! >:o i'm sure not all have the same "personalities" but for the most part the are to some extent aggressive. as long as he's eating SOMETHING, he should be ok. how long have you had him? normally fish don't eat for the first 2-3 days after you've added them into the tank. once they get settled down they'll start munching away on anything :)

organicman

he actually just ate for the first time. i fed him frozen bs (not involving bulls).

WOW! thanks uchiha!

i just added him about 24 hours ago. that really explains so much of his skiddishness and not eating.

ill keep you all posted.

once again thanks.

I have been in charge of two blue damsels (I say in charge as an ex of mine had one in a tank that I took care of) and I second everything that has been said above. I use Hilkari brand blood worms. Great for salt and freshwater fish! From my experience, they can be scared quite easily...and then they can be so bold at times. You will get to know your fish better as time goes on and be able to 'read' it better.

organicman

sorry guys-

his sore got bigger all day yesterday and i spoke with my LR/LFS and he said to simply remove danny and start again. he said my fish was probably hosting a parasite and remove the fish before it spreads. i took him out right away. i think ill wait on replacement for a few days/weeks... :(

RIP Danny. WE LOVED YOU!

sorry if i let you down with this thread...

thanks everyone for help.

ghostbear29

alot of times if the damsel was just shipped to the LFS then you brought him right home, the stress is the usual culprit for most fish not eating and blanching out and being shy. you can observe this with a high respiratory rate and limited movement thru the tank. also, check the H2O. just on the safe side. By him being stressed, it was quite easy to pick up a fluke or parasite that resided in some LR or something. Just waited till the opportunity was right. Damn shame. Luckily they are cheap.

mine is a 3 stripe that is very inquisitive. He eats flake readily and usually follows the hermit around to catch what he doesn't eat and spits out. funny huh.

yes, i did euthanize him. i felt bad as hell doing it, but the pain has been easing up a bit. i just try not to think about it.

on a different note, thomas (tomato clown) is doing good. he is fully adjusted to his living conditions.

oh YEAH -- when i euthanized danny i did a huge water cange and i FW dipped my LR again for the hell of it. boy am i glad i did b/c i found a two inch whitish worm in one of the holes. i pulled it out w/ tweezers (EEEWWW!) and bagged and tossed it. :nerd: stupid worm... anywho do you think the worm bit danny?

as for thomas, he seems fine. hes only two inches long so far.

ive been feeding him frozen BS and formula 2. is this an adequate diet??

thanks

Archived