Innovative Marine Aquariums

Marineland vs Cobalt

Blueman

Hoping you can shed some light on this because it is starting to frustrate the heck out of me. I picked up a Marineland Maxi Jet 900 locally, swapped out the stock return pump in my Coralife Biocube 14g but cannot find a way to use the suction cups, they just won't fit. I also had to replace the tubing so that the pump was fully submersed. My problem is there really isn't a difference in noise between the two. Is the cobalt one a better fit and quieter? I know you sell that one. Is there a way to use the suction cups with the cobalt?

I've got about 10 of these between the 2 brands. The cobalt are the same as the older marineland ones which were made in italy instead of china. As far as size, they're identical. I always had to use them without the suction cups in a nano tank. As far as operation, I have cobalt ones that rattle like crazy when throttled and marineland ones that are dead quiet, and the opposite, just depends on the pump. I haven't noticed any difference in noise. It's possible one will get louder than the other over time, or the marineland ones won't last as long.

Jackal_Knight

I have 3 of these 2 mj400 from marineland and a mj600 from cobalt, their all silent and i really don't see much of a difference in quality. i don't see how one could be better just cause its from Italy. now if it was made here in America then i would buy it just because of that fact. But their not so I'm just gonna stick to what ever is cheaper which is Marineland.

Hoping you can shed some light on this because it is starting to frustrate the heck out of me. I picked up a Marineland Maxi Jet 900 locally, swapped out the stock return pump in my Coralife Biocube 14g but cannot find a way to use the suction cups, they just won't fit. I also had to replace the tubing so that the pump was fully submersed. My problem is there really isn't a difference in noise between the two. Is the cobalt one a better fit and quieter? I know you sell that one. Is there a way to use the suction cups with the cobalt?

We don't sell the marineland pumps any more for a reason, they are junk. They moved production to China and cut a lot of corners. We do sell the Cobalt MJs which as mentioned above are the old Italian made Maxi Jet design.

You may have to extend the tubing in the BC14 for it to sit on the bottom, it's just 1/2" ID vinyl hose. You can add water to the rear chamber while the tank is running to bring the level up. Ignore the min/max line.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Cobalt-Aquatics-MJ900-Powerhead-Pump-MJ900.htm

The suctions cups for the Cobalt are too wide. Either do not use them or glue the stock pump's bracket to the bottom of the cobalt pump.

Archived