ReefCleaners.org

Shrimp Hatchlings

birdman204

birdman204

We have a pair of scarlet cleaners in our larger reef tank that mate and release hatchlings on an alternating weekly basis.

It's pretty cool to watch the fish come out after dark, and go after these tiny, tiny animals. After 10 minutes of trying to take pictures this time, this is the best I could do with these fast moving animals.

it is the white spec on the left.

4787shrimp-zoea-far.jpg

and zoomed in

4787shrimp-zoea.jpg

birdman204

Thanks guys.

This occurs bi-weekly in the tank. About 5 minutes after dark on the night, the shrimp comes out , to the highest point in the reef, turns upside down, and backpaddles, and releases HUNDREDS of these things in the tank. When this happens, I turn of my circulating pumps for aout a half hour to give the corals, fish, and microfauna a chance to feed on the little guys. Rarely do we every see any the next morning. It was pretty amazing the first time it happened, and this was the best picture out of 50+ that I tried to take. I just wish it was even clearer.

• 7 years later...
Thanks guys.

This occurs bi-weekly in the tank. About 5 minutes after dark on the night, the shrimp comes out , to the highest point in the reef, turns upside down, and backpaddles, and releases HUNDREDS of these things in the tank. When this happens, I turn of my circulating pumps for aout a half hour to give the corals, fish, and microfauna a chance to feed on the little guys. Rarely do we every see any the next morning. It was pretty amazing the first time it happened, and this was the best picture out of 50+ that I tried to take. I just wish it was even clearer.

I know this is an old topic, but I just had a similar experience in my aquarium. I was about to go to bed and noticed these little things in my tank. The water is a bit low, so I have some aeration, but these little things were more than bubbles.

I only have two peppermint shrimp, 7 small red or blue crabs and a Hawaiian Feather Duster. It was amazing to see all these little creatures. I looked up pictures of brine shrimp and they aren't them. I looked up shrimp hatchlings and found this article.

Great to find this information.

Buck

Archived