SaltCritters.com

COOL HITCHHIKER can I keep? reef safe?

anizato

Hey everyone, I JUST saw this little guy appear out of nowhere.

Been a month and a half since this tank started, and he just happened!

any ideas? species? care?

is he harmless? reef safe?

Can I keep him? if so, what is his diet?

more pics

Looks like Majano Anemone but the pic makes it hard to tell. Google Majano and see if it looks like what you have. If it is, I would not advise keeping it. They can multiply quickly and will sting corals preventing them from growing. .

Its a moving animal, not a coral. Check the video. You can see it is a pretty little Nudibranch.

I uploaded a crappy version of the video to youtube. Ill upload a high-def version tonight (im on the bus atm)

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cool! To be honest I don't know much except that Nudibranchs each have a very specific diet and without it will die. If yours have been going for 6 weeks, maybe it has what it needs in your tank. I know some will eat soft coral so it may or may not become a problem. Either way it's a cool and beautiful creature!

Cool! To be honest I don't know much except that Nudibranchs each have a very specific diet and without it will die. If yours have been going for 6 weeks, maybe it has what it needs in your tank. I know some will eat soft coral so it may or may not become a problem. Either way it's a cool and beautiful creature!

agreed. they are cool animals but hard to care due to the fact that alot eat corals or other things that you dont want in a reef tank

hypostatic

Nudis are not reef safe. They are almost all predators. You won't be able to keep it alive unless you can find the coral that it feeds on.

Pinner Reef

Dunno that particular species but most of the ones I've seen with lots of feathers can be coral eaters. I'd pull him to be safe or keep a really close eye on your coral.

So far all my coral are thriving. Haven't noticed any of them being eaten off. However I haven't seen this little guy either.

By the way I THINK I found out his species name. IF anyone has evidence to back this up or disapprove of this, please. I am only trying to educate myself (and/or anybody interested).

Unidentia Angelvaldesi.

Looks all the world like a zoanthids Nudi. If it is, it's not the only one and the eggs are a pain.

Read my thread and others...hard to eradicate but a must if you keep zoas.

Definitely not a Berghia. I had those for my aiptasia and they are all white. This one also has some markings on it that berghia lack.

There is a species out there that I found on the web, that KINDA looks like this one. I don't think it is a Berghia for this one has purple colors and the Berghia are white.

I THINK it MIGHT be Unidentia Angelvaldesi.

Although the UA I have seen on the web have longer tentacles, but that just may be that this one is not mature? Hell if I know, right?

http://www.nudibranch.org/Philippine%20Sea%20Slugs/html/nudibranchs/unidentia-angelvaldesi-03.html

I haven't seen him since the first appearance. I will post more as soon as I see more of him.

In the meantime, I will try to keep searching for his type, since I would like to keep him healthy.

What do you all think?

Islandoftiki

There's no reason you can't keep it. If it eats zoas, you'll need to feed it cheap zoas. If it eats something else, you'll have to find that particular food supply for it. Because nudi's have such specific diets, you might find that yours only eats one specific type of sponge that you can't get, or something like that. If you're really super lucky, it will end up being one that eats algae. That's not terribly likely.

Personally, having had a pest tank full of unwanted pests, I say keep it if you can supply it with food and you enjoy the critter. It might be a fun challenge.

agreed. they are cool animals but hard to care due to the fact that alot eat corals or other things that you dont want in a reef tank

My experience.

What color is your little pet. That's the color of the coral he's eating.

If they are inexpensive Zoas, make him a little biotope reef tank stocked with his bill of fare.

Archived