Cultivated Reef

1 year old minibow

birdman204

birdman204

Well, my minibow is officially a year old. It is my favorite tank by far. The size of it allows me to get quite up close and personal with all the inhabitants. There have been few animals that passed in this reef, mostly fish. It was tinkered with for about 3 months until it was basically self sustaining, minus a refill of the top off every 11 days. and some food for he fish, but he does eat some of the live food available to him as well.

Inhabitants are now chosen careflly for compatibility. If I could, I would not have added the ricordea and the xenia in the beginning. Other than that, it is a majority of zoanthids and Montipora genus corals. Specifically, Montipora digitata, and montipora capricornis. I chose these animals for there relative hardines, and the fact that they'd be inside a mere 7 gallons of water for quite some time. There have been at least 12 - 15 frags broken of the wanna be purple, the blue and the green monti's since November. The orange has been very slow to grow. The orange cap on the other hand is the fastest growing coral in the tank. It was placed a good inch from the back glass on March 20th, and you can see how much it's grown.

The tank has a mag 5 plumbed into a closed loop with a SCWD attached. The lighting is a 70W MH w/ a tunze 20K bulb, and 32 W PC actinic supplement. I also have a HOB fuge with a 32W 10K out back. Due to the little amounts needed to feed the fish, the macro grows pretty slow. I have not pruned algae from the display since february, and the growth has pretty much either stopped, or it will begin to die back in places and pop up in others. The only problem I have is the pesky Valonia up top there on those zoanthids I traded w/ someone. I hope you enjoy the pics, and I will add more phots as time permits. Ask any questions as well if you'd like.

4787fulltankshot.jpg

4787clamandpolyps.jpg

4787branching-coralline.jpg

4787orangezoos.jpg

ReeferMonkey

Looking good as usual Bird.

Have you been pretty happy with the growth under the BLV "20K"? I'm trying to organize a group buy but I'm apprehensive about the bulb and the fact that's it's really Aqua and not 20K. Your colors seem good, maybe I'm just being paranoid.

birdman204

Thanks Reefer Monkey. Your tank is looking kickin', although I couldn't find the newest link to your tank.

I am using the Tunze bulb. Very blue. Growth has been pretty similar to before. I do notice the colors really stand out. I may be switching back to a 10K bulb when this one burns out, simply for growth comparasion.

these are the zoanthids growing inbetween the branching coralline in the 3rd shot.

4787orangeandgreenzoos.jpg

and my green with purple rimmed montipora. I broke this piece 2 times on accident since I put it in the tank, so it started from about a penny sized piece 5 months ago.

4787greenmonticap.jpg

ReeferMonkey

Yes, I need to update my link. Will do that soon.

Does that green cap have blue polyps? I have a green with pink rim and blue polyps that faded out under my PCs and is slowly gaining color under my 10k. If you're getting that color under the Aqua bulb then I have nothing to worry about!

I have a question or two about your SCWD. How often do you have to clean it? I seem to have problems with my powerfilter and powerheads due to calcium supplementation and I hear things about the SCWDs getting clogged up. How is the flow with the Mag 5? Is that the only flow in the tank besides the input to the HOB Fuge? About how many GPH do you average?

Since I'm facing a more-or-less imminent move once I find a new job, I think I'm going to buy a new MB 7, build a custom stand that will accomodate a sump and powercenter and drill the new tank in anticipation of the transfer. That way when I get out there I'll have a new pimped out setup ready to roll. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is if a SCWD from a return line (maybe off of a Mag7?) would provide enough flow for the tank. I supposed I could do a seperate closed loop and then just rock a spraybar or something form the sump return.... I dunno. Any thoughts?

Oh yeah, did that calcareous algae just spring up in your tank? Crazy stuff.

birdman204

The green cap's rim was hardly noticably colored under the PC's. The polyps are the same green as the middle. The rim has really darkened up after it was able to grow out from under the fuge return.

No comment on the SCWD as I am sure as soon as I give you advice, mine will lock up :P I have had it on for.... 8 mos now I think... no problems. If you do need to clean it, use a vinegar and water solution (eeeww) and it will work fine again.

You have nailed the flow. CPR and the mag 5. The split returns , after the scwd, are pushing an estimated 150 - 200 GPH each, so that switches every 15 seconds and the fuge runs 24/7. I am confident that a mag 7 would work in this setup as well, as after plumbing bends and scwd, and head height from a sump, youll probably be about the same flow rate.

I dunno if you can drill the bottom of a minibow, but you could do a durso style off the rear of the tank. Do a search for more info and HOW to pages, They're out there. A separate closed loop would add a lot of plumbing. At ~500 GPH, in a 7 gallon tank, you should be fine ;)

Yeah, after about 6 mos, I noticed a few nubs here and there, and then in the next 6 mos, everything you see grew. some branches are over 4 inches long, extanding up, out, and back down to the sand bed. The zoos have bee forced to grow between it. I need to start offering pieces to local reefers when they come by, the stuff id so cool!

Blue polyped Montipora digitata and my goby.

4787peelbranch.jpg

ReeferMonkey

I just checked All-Glass's web site ( http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html ) and the bottom of the Minibow 7 is not tempered, so I'm cool as far as that goes.

That's a super sweet blue polyped digi. I wonder if it would survive a thermos trade?

I did, by the way, update my link. Now I just need a digital SLR to make my pics as nice as yours. Bastage. :D

ReeferMonkey

Bird,

What size is your return line? Does it open up after the Mag 7 and keep the same size through the SCWD?

• 2 weeks later...

Return line is 3/4 inch, and then restricted to 1/2 inch after the scwd, but then split into 2 return inside the tank. You can see it on the left in the 1st picture.

Snapped this one the other day.... The bend in the glass makes it hard to get a good angle on this piece.

4787purplezoanthids.jpg

Oh yeah, pump seized, gotta clean the impeller. Threw a microjet 450 in there for now. I am lazy, *punches self in back of head*

That tank is stunning. You are definatly doing something right. What would you say is the single most important thing you do to maintain a beautiful tank like that is? Do you run a skimmer? What does scwd mean? After seeing those pics Im embarrased that I even posted pics of my tank.

Hey birdman your zoos look very colorful under that lighting. I am considering going with the same bulb your using. The 70 W 10K I am using right now makes some of the colors to my zoos washed out. Although, I am happy with growth. Hopefully Reefermonkey can work out a deal with those 20k's. Anyways, nice tank and growth.

-Saul

snostorm, thanks... You shoulda seen the tank last year this time. It was pathetic, a single ric, and a single stalk of xenia. That was before I decided to go with the Montiporas. SCWD stands for Switching Current Wavemaking Devices (i think) it basically switches the pump out flow from 1 side to the other. http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp...dproduct=3Q1111

I think the best thing I did was get an auto top off system with a 3 gallon reservoir. I use half strength kalkwater for all of the makeup water. I can let the tank go for 12 days and merely need to feed the fish 5 or 6 times a pnch of freeze dried cyclop-eeze. the HOB dumps a few mysids and copepods in the display for him to munch on as well. I am not running a skimmer. I slowed my WC's from weekly 1 gallon, to monthly 2 gallon changes... but in a new tank, I would still suggest weekly 1 gallon changes. My tiny fish allows me to feed very little, so nutrient load is low. I have a single valonia about the size of a pingpong ball, it grows so slowly, the coralline has covered it up ;D You can see it in the 1st pic, just to the right of the green digi. I will snap a shot next time I take pictures.

Skeletor- Cmon now, Your tank is off the handle... Your growth is ridiculous! I am happy with my livestock coices in that they require minimal care, except for the occasional fragging, which I am sure you know about...

LiQuId - You are first on the list.

Saul1- I responded in ReeferM's thread. The 20K bulb is VERY blue. I had the corals originally under a 10K bulb. The coloration did take time, but it never seemed to get very "vibrant". with the 20k, over time, they have really started to POP.

Some say they are yellow, I think they are orange.... Their mouths are definatley bright green with pink middles....

4787ricordea.jpg

bird, i'll take a frag of that blue monti, and one of that green one as well. hell, i'll even take some zoos off your hands(red)... awesome looking tank, by the way... just needs a bit of pruning.:)

Thanks jag. I think the scwd really helped this orange monti cap whorl and grow in a desired pattern.... This shot was taken a month ago,, it has grown even more offshoots, and begun to plate in different sections... When it was originally placed in the tank it was about .5 inches off the back wall, and those folds in the front were non existent.

You are now 2nd in line for the zoos ;)

4787orangecap.jpg

Perhaps your bulb was old / bad, or your ballast wasn't running properly? I have had great coloration and growth from my 70W lighting.

I dont think thats the problem b/c everything else is colored up nice in my tank and I have checked all connections. I did hear on RC or somewhere that green monti. digitata and orange monti digitata dont need as much light to color up. The harder ones to color up are the purple and pink monti digi's. But I can't explain your blue one. As far as your acro, you have surprised me. Keep me posted on the growth and coloration.

-Saul

Very nice Bird, I've always like your digi's. Thats not a German blue polyp digitata from ORA is it?

Could you explain a little more on how you dose. I want to dose via the auto top off as well, do you only dose kalk? Hows your alk and calcium levels?

<---- will be in o.c. in september...coming to steal green monti and blue polyp monti....or a possible trade for some i have..anyway lookin really good bird, hopefully we can hook up sometime and do a trade

• 3 weeks later...

Saul - Well, that is a bummer. More time perhaps.

The acro frag I haev is tiny, but growing. It was 1/2 inch when I put it in, it has since grown many polyps....

The "purple" monti I have (in the back on the left) has turned BRIGHT pink under a 400W 10K.....

Coral reef - Thanks, I am switching to a 10k soon, I will post comparasion photos.

Wally - Auto top off into the cpr fuge, teh switch is set in the return part so the fluctuation is more often and smaller amounts.

Ca and Alk are stable. Ph gets high... btu I have combated that with a varied fuge photoperiod.

SLO - lemme know when!

birdman, i would give my left nut to have a frag of that blue digi. well, maybe not my left nut... but have you ever thought of shipping a frag? :) :) :)

Vicskimmr, PM me....

Razin Kain - Working on one.... if I could only find a bunch of time.

10K bulb switched in this morning, need to finish acclimating to the new light... pics late next week.

Archived