inTank Media Baskets

Ballast extending

morphx

Anyone see anything electrically wrong with cutting the ballast out of a nancube and adding a few feet of wire on it to hide it in a cabinet?

Also whats the deal with the ground connecting to a plastic hood!

I've read a couple articles by ballast manufacturers saying not to do that because something "bad" can happen, but nobody really said what or why. I think they just aren't sure so say that as a caveat. Several people on RC have extended lines on their fluoro and MH ballasts over 10 feet in some cases and they said they work fine. You just want to make sure that you use the same gauge or lower (or is it higher? - the thicker 'un, anyways) for those extensions.

Grounding a plastic hood.. That sounds like a great sales pitch that I'd love to see someone try. Is there a metal reflector under that hood that it's somehow conncted to?

Being the danger addict that I am I went ahead and extended it 6ft with the same gauge rated at 300v. Works like a charm, now I'm 56w of pure 12Gallon joy. My Ballast's are on a long enough leach I can hide them in my stand cabinet now.

Now it's time to solder my moonlight LED's and I can call my lighting complete.

BTW: the ground was screwed to the reflector plate.

Archived