Cultivated Reef

Salt Flats

masterbuilder

BattleAthletics

I thought I would gamble with a max bid of $20. I didn't expect to win and in a way hoped I wouldn't. I'm normally a leery of eBay and don't go there very often at all, but it worked out this time. Feel better dealing with known online stores 99.99% of the time.

It probably took the person about 15 in shipping!

• 2 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Nothing much to report other than the long wait is underway. Filled tank eight days ago and ran all the equipment two days for one last test run. Then I added a carefully inspected tennis ball sized rock from an established tank in the overflow to get things going, at the same time stuck in a small chunk of raw shrimp cause my bacteria gets so hungry. Removed the rock after 3 days and tossed it in the old rock bucket. Today I noticed the beginnings of diatom algae, whoo hooo..... right on schedule.

The rest of the time I just fiddle with Neptunes Fusion software getting my Vortechs all synced up and the Radion doing its thing. I arranged the rockscape and set up the pumps specifically for the Gyre flow method. The water is spinning like a toilet. :blink:

Link below to Gyre Flow method...its a little different than the random flow that I have used before.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/1/aafeature

jedimasterben

Gyre flow is awesome, man. Random flow at the coral, but you get the efficiency of having your pumps work together. I keep seeing people that have pumps after pumps all in different directions going for 'random' flow - when all it takes is two (or four, depending on the person and their wallet lol) well-placed pumps to get the entire water column in motion.

masterbuilder

All excited over the first signs of life (the diatom bloom). Only about 2 months before I can really think of adding anything. :(

20140512_135232.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Well... the initial nitrogen cycle is complete. Diatom algae is just about gone. I plan on doing a 50% water change the first of next week and by my calculations it should bring the nitrates in way below 5 ppm.

My next step is wait until phase two of the cycle is well underway (green algae) and order the cleanup crew from reefcleaners.

You know what's after that...more waiting........then more waiting.......

masterbuilder

My kid is supposed to be some sort of baseball phenom and I spend most of my spring and summer chasing him all over the country. So, having to wait on my reef to get itself ready isn't so bad, I am gone half of most weeks anyway. Leaving in the morning for another 6 hour drive....ugh. It pays for his college so I'm not complaining.

• 2 weeks later...
masterbuilder

Did my first major water change two days ago...50%. All levels are now undetectable with Saliferts. I actually want a little bit of nitrates but that will take care of itself. Added a really small CUC to keep the little algae I have somewhat under control. Will adjust the CUC as required. The reefer I most admire and think is one of the more knowledgeable said.... "New tanks should have a CUC and nothing else for at least two months". So, plan on doing nothing but routine maintenance for a minimum of another month to let things mature and settle in.

Exciting ... huh? :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
masterbuilder

I received a newsletter/stock update from my LFS showing they had some Trochus snails. I wanted a couple to round out my snail crew.

I came home with the snails alright and a tail-spot blenny. I broke my own rule of not adding anything except a small CUC for two full months. I made it 1 month 20 days. The store had four and this one looked exceptionally healthy......so.....what could I do other than accept defeat. There has been a tail-spot in all my previous nanos and I wouldn't want to break tradition.

Tail- Spot blennies aren't all the rage they once were but they are still my favorite fish, I wouldn't want to be without one. He/She is already eating Rod's Veg Food like a pig, swims around and has found several bolt holes. I don't plan on adding anymore fish yet. I have orders in with the big internet companies for a handful of Red Spotted Trimma gobies and will hold out for these. I have been mulling over the idea of a small gobie/shrimp pair but I cant decide if I want to put up with shrimp piling sand on my corals. Probably wont do it but still thinking.

• 9 months later...
masterbuilder

For the 1st time in my 12 years of reefing and 20+ years in the hobby I decided to take down a tank only because it just wasn't how I envisioned. So...two weeks ago the deed was done. It's still running as a temporary holding tank for my 25 acros and gobies in my shop. I plan to sell most of the equipment that's specific to this tank as well as most of my acros. :huh:

BUT...all is not lost. I have a brandy new Elos still in the crate. Whooo Hooo. Building the stand right now and hope to have it finished in the next couple of weeks. Other stuff is on the slow boat from Germany (taking advantage of the exchange rate).

This next tank is going to be a little different than my others, minimal landscaping and filled with just one species of SPS.

Thanks for asking how it was going. Will post up some pics when I am far enough along. So.... for now I have to reef vicariously through you guys.

Archived