ReefCleaners.org

Type of wood for canopy

NaNO ReeFiN

Which type of wood should I use to build a canopy with? I just want a nice quality wood that isn't extremely expensive.

I used poplar. It's one of the cheapest hardwoods, should be easy to find. Plywood would be a mistake, and I've heard of people having problems with pine.

NaNO,

I love the oak look, so I bought a piece of "oak finished plywood", 1/2 inch in a 2 x 2 sheet & some solid oak trim. Total cost I think was around $25 for all. I know you've seen my tank picks (in another post, but don't know if you've seen the finished product - at the end of this post.

I used redwood stain - one coat only - and four coats of "Varathane" - which comes highly recommended from the guys at wetwebmedia.com - they swear by it as being the best wood coating for saltwater canopies.

As soon as I get My &^%$##! accessories from fishsupply.com, I'll begin stocking my tank.

All the tank-build pics are at:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p...4032&uid=647360

Here's the completed 10-gal tank, in redwood-stained oak:

O' Freak! That's a nice looking Canopy! I was gonna build my own as well but decided, screw it, I'll just go buy a custom made one... After asking around at different LFS's, I've decided to order a pine canopy for my 20L. (75 bucks...).

And ross, I'm a guy. B) Or else I'd be a lesbian in love with Anna Kournikova...

I have one made with pine, one with popular, and one with oak. Oak was the hardest to make, super heavy and expensive but looks the best and will probably last the longest. The pine was cheap and dented easy. The popular was easy to work with and has a nice grain to it (my choice for cheap and easy canopy).

Man, I just checked out the poplar stuff at the local hardware store....great stuff (I need to get out more). Sounds like the way to go for a cheap, sturdy, good-looking wood.

Ross

Originally posted by Satchmo

Nano, if you're a chick with an avatar like that, I'd REALLY like to meet you ;)

You stay the ***k away from me! LOL :D

Archived