ReefCleaners.org

Red Sea max 130 light bleaching

tennis20

I've had my rsm for about 7-8 months. It seems that almost all my corals bleach. I can't tell if I'm placing them too high or too low. My params are as follows: nitrate - 0; nitrite - 0; ammonia - 0; ph ~8; kh- 9/10; calc- 450. I know my calcium is a bit high but quod that really affect anything? I replaced my bulbs a week ago. And I feed my LPS mysis.

Here are some pics

Setosa when I got it (about a three weeks ago). It's about halfway up the tank

1FE5B85E-4070-4B52-855F-42C3B41D21A5_zps

Here it is now

5F66E9E4-B66B-42C5-9B74-BEF588419763_zps

Now here's a frogspawn that I had(third of the way up). This died though due to tissue tear.

A6C168D2-6D31-4D5F-BBEE-43B45365CFC0_zps

Here's the frogspawn before it died

7C79F557-BBF5-4CF3-83C0-AF44D41A21B5_zps

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Max

Is the water getting too hot?

No, according to my thermometer it's a steady 79. I don't think the thermometers shot, if anything it might be a little high(meaning the reading)

Your water could be to clean. Phosphates are an essential part of coral growth, to much and they brown out, zero phosphates and they start to bleach out and die.

Have the corals gotten any better?

Not really...my torch(not shown) has gained some color back after I started feeding.

Your water could be to clean. Phosphates are an essential part of coral growth, to much and they brown out, zero phosphates and they start to bleach out and die.

Is there a way to artificially raise levels? Should I just feed more?

Fishgirl2393

I know it is very easy to starve a tank. I was trying so hard to keep phosphates and nitrates low that I ended up not giving enough food and nearly starved my candy cane coral. It is recovering now after some target feedings and overall more feeding. The water quality is also not suffering so it seems to be working. I cannot say about SPS though, since I do not keep them at the moment.

SerenityReef

Some people disagree with me, but some corals just die.

What are you running for filtration? Anything carbon? GFO?

I know it is very easy to starve a tank. I was trying so hard to keep phosphates and nitrates low that I ended up not giving enough food and nearly starved my candy cane coral. It is recovering now after some target feedings and overall more feeding. The water quality is also not suffering so it seems to be working. I cannot say about SPS though, since I do not keep them at the moment.

I've started feeding more now so I'll see what happens.

Some people disagree with me, but some corals just die.

What are you running for filtration? Anything carbon? GFO?

I'm running a tunze 9002, chemi pure elite and purigen. And btw, how's that awesome clam you got a fee months ago?

masterbuilder

I would dump the chemipure and purigen. I know many people use both without problems but I have also seen several instances where it appears to have caused problems with SPS. I don't think removing it would make anything worse as long as you continue to monitor your water.

I would dump the chemipure and purigen. I know many people use both without problems but I have also seen several instances where it appears to have caused problems with SPS. I don't think removing it would make anything worse as long as you continue to monitor your water.

Maybe I'll take them out my next wc. Would you replace them with regular carbon or just leave it vacant?

Here's the setosa from today

http://s1263.photobucket.com/user/tennis20/media/9E18F826-3801-4324-BAD0-F4B321DBAED0_zpspxb8hato.jpg.html'>9E18F826-3801-4324-BAD0-F4B321DBAED0_zps

• 2 weeks later...

Archived