Top Shelf Aquatics

The 40B Caribbean gorgonian forest!

zooman72

I've acquired a love for gorgonians too. I need more of them for sure, but love the look they add to a tank. So much more natural.

Nice job!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Yep, nutrients in, nutrients out - and that is where many fail (including me) - I have to keep up with water changes more than anything, which becomes a problem with several reefs and a couple of small children to care for! I may try some carbon dosing (Red Sea NO3-PO4-X) in my 20L just to get the hang of that product before I try it on the gorg's 40B, as everything else is fine but the rics. I try to feed as much as I can in a reasonable fashion, but have to remember not to get carried away with the pellets.

I would just use plain ol vinegar. Don't need much to do the job. http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/116-vinegar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

Grube's gorg is severely underrated, especially for the inexperienced gorg keeper - they are awesome , and grow fast! I will try to grab a quick pic of my larger one in the other 40B...

After I saw what it looks like grown out in hallzoo's tank, I had to have one.

gallery_59679_2_84528.jpg

A quick and easy way to get up to speed quickly, and they are a great vendor - their specimens are top quality. I consult for a few public aquariums, and within the last year did a "small" gorg exhibit (approximately 220g), using KP Aquatics to supply the gorgs and fish - the stuff they sent was unbelievable, and there were so many extras... :bowdown:

Pics, man, where are the friggin' pics!

... but they're stinky :)

I have a brown one that is unstoppable. Cut off the stem leaving only some encrusted base and moved to my 20, now I have it in both places. I need more variety.

I have rics and feed very heavily. They look a little better than yours, but still don't grow. Constant frustration.

They only stink if you take them out of the water! ;)

My rics have nice color for blue ones, but they have not grown and are not very big - maybe I am blasting them with too much light... :wacko:

Loving this tank. Nice work

Thanks!

I've acquired a love for gorgonians too. I need more of them for sure, but love the look they add to a tank. So much more natural.

Nice job!

Thanks, and check out KP Aquatics - great selection (although it may vary a bit between collection trips) and lots of color... :wub:

I would just use plain ol vinegar. Don't need much to do the job.

After I saw what it looks like grown out in hallzoo's tank, I had to have one.

Pics, man, where are the friggin' pics!

I was given a 500ml bottle of the Red Sea stuff by a friend that has a great LFS, so no issue for me to try I guess.

I love Hallzoo's aquarium (I love softies more than SPS though too), and his looks a lot like the one in my 15g column.

As for pics, I will get some new ones tomorrow (today :() if I get the chance, but as a teaser, here is a rather poor shot of my other 40B after hanging the Razor over it...

temporary-1391.jpg

Note that the tank is 16" high, and the Grube's gorg is on a rock about 5" high, behind the tree corals - estimate it at about 10" in length! :naughtydance:

• 5 months later...

Man this tank just makes me want to flood my mantis tank with photosynthetic gorgs.

I already have a purple sea whip and another gorg that I have no idea what it is specifically but it grows like a weed compared to everything else I own.

Man this tank just makes me want to flood my mantis tank with photosynthetic gorgs.

I already have a purple sea whip and another gorg that I have no idea what it is specifically but it grows like a weed compared to everything else I own.

Yeah, I like them because they are a "different look" than what most associate a "reef aquarium" to be...

I have also found that certain gorgs do much better on light/ photosynthesis alone, whereas others appreciate a feeding in addition to photosynthesis...

I will have to get some new pics up here and on the other threads, although not much has happened other than some growth... :)

Archived