Pod Your Reef

New T5 lighting is AWESOME!!!

Sahin

I just hooked up my new T5 lighting quickly. ITS AWESOME.

I have a 20K tube and a 6.5K tube.

The colour combo is very pleasant.

A crisp white colour.

The brightness is BLINDING! :P

I am really pleased with the purchase.

And this is with just foil as a reflector.

I will be making a new hood and adding the required reflectors.

I'll have some pics tomorrow.

Tinyreef was right that these are BRIGHT.

OK, the DIY kit cost me £60 with shipping ($96 US) which is a very good deal.

Replacement tubes cost less than £4 for the daylights and £15 for the 20K.

Compare this with about £18 per tube for NO fluorescents. These tubes also have a 20K hour running rating as opposed to 10K for the NO tubes.

I got an Osram 2x39watt ballast,

1x39watt 20K Kelvin tube,

1x39watt 6.5K Kelvin daylight ,

2xpair of 2meter end cap/wires

The ballast is nice design and easy to hook up.

A full unit costs £200 (about same watts) which is more expensive than a metal halide unit!!!

I was going to run one of the NO tubes alongside the T5, but after looking at the tank brightness I decided to leave it for the moment.

I am planning to buy a few clams tomorow, and some SPS frags.

My tank will be a mixed tank.

I already got rid softies that grew too large to make room for the SPS and clams.

In a couple of months your going to get rid of all your softies and have all sps and clams. I can just see it now:woot: Can't wait for the pics:)

Sahin,

First, congrats on the new lights.

Secondly a couple questions if I may?

1. When you say bright what are you comparing to? PC's or VHO or MH or NO?

2. Is there a website available to US customers?

I have a friend that is trying this on a 120gal and I'm sure he would like the info.

Thank you in advance,

Toy

Toy, I am comparing these to my previous setup which consisted of NO tubes.

I am certain these are of much higher output than NO tubes, but I am not sure if they are higher output compared to PC's. I know at one point over here in the UK people said they will replace MH's.

I can see why it may have been said, watt for watt they are almost as good as MH's, however they are not a point source light and therefore you wont the the INTENSITY of a point source light such as MH. But they are a VERY good substitute for MH's on shallow tanks.

This is all my observations based on reading around and now having a set on my own tank.

BTW as far as I know, the three main suppliers of these lights dont ship to the USA. They are very common now in the rest of Europe (NOTABLY GERMANY) where many poeple have large reef tanks running on T5 lights.

Christopher Marks

T5 blubs probably compare best to PC's, but with all the benefits of VHO. They have a very small diameter tube, as do powercompacts, which allows for the gas inside to burn brighter.

Archived