Cultivated Reef

Brain Coral

300bowler

Hello everyone I am new to the site and just wanted to know what my brain coral is doing. I recently upgraded my entire system from a 10 gallon coral only tank to a 35 gallon reef tank. I was just given this brain coral and when my night time leds come on he puffs out. Dont really know what im suppose to do. I was told it was a trachey which I dont beleive you need to feed but I could be wrong. Any advice.

PS: what is the easiest way to upload photo's?

Hello everyone I am new to the site and just wanted to know what my brain coral is doing. I recently upgraded my entire system from a 10 gallon coral only tank to a 35 gallon reef tank. I was just given this brain coral and when my night time leds come on he puffs out. Dont really know what im suppose to do. I was told it was a trachey which I dont beleive you need to feed but I could be wrong. Any advice.

put all the photos on photobucket and use the image URL, on the posts, try and be more descriptive when you say it "puffs out"

Thanks working on the photo's.

The middle bulges out and almost over laps the outside. It looks like a bowl and the stuff inside is going to spill out all over the sand.

Thanks working on the photo's. The middle bulges out and almost over laps the outside. It looks like a bowl and the stuff inside is going to spill out all over the sand.

it might be a feeding response, my war coral swells and sends out feeding tentacles at night,

forgot my manners, welcome to nano-reef! :)

That's normal for a brain. Mine will do that to as the lights go down in if I disturb the tank. I guess it triggers a feeding response and the tenticle polyps come out

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Alex_Edwards/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140422_215010_zps8662fcd2.jpg.html'>20140422_215010_zps8662fcd2.jpgere are the photo's I just took. Not very good quality but best I can do right now.

http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/Alex_Edwards/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140422_215022_zps84fab72a.jpg.html'>20140422_215022_zps84fab72a.jpg

Ok thanks. So should I try and feed it or was I am I right that it is photosynthetic?

Perfectly normal looks like a good healthy Welso. Welso and Trachy took on the same name as Trachy a few years ago. But I still call them by there former names. Welso will have a flat bottom Trachy will have a cone shaped bottom.

Ok. It has a cone bottom. Thanks for the quick responses and information.
Then that is a Trachy. Looked like a Welso to me guess I was wrong. But it sure does look healthy ;).

Always feed.

Then that is a Trachy. Looked like a Welso to me guess I was wrong. But it sure does look healthy ;).

So that's the difference between a wellso and a trachy? I never knew that.

What should I try and feed it? Going to lfs tonight so I will pick something up.

You can feed it a lot of things. But personally, I use mysis shrimp soaked in vita chem. I also on occasion feed grocery store shrimp that haven't been seasoned or anything.

You can feed it a lot of things. But personally, I use mysis shrimp soaked in vita chem. I also on occasion feed grocery store shrimp that haven't been seasoned or anything.

Thanks. Ill try it tonight

Archived