inTank Media Baskets

feeding corals with mysis?

nmojahed

hey guys. i have a 16 gal tank with three types of corals (for now), they are candy canes, ricordea, and i just bought a green tip leather coral. at night (sometimes) the candy cane's tentacles will come out barely and i want to feed them some mysis. i was wondering if that is a good idea.

can i also feed my green tip leather? when should i feed it?

can i feed my ricordea too? when the lights go off, it curls up for a little bit so i was thinking of putting some mysis shrimp right before it closes. any comments/suggestions would be great! thanks!

I use to target feed most of my lps i.e candy canes, frogspawn, blastos trumpets etc, fed them mainly mysis. I can't comment on the rics or leathers though.

my rics eat mysis, I just take some tweezers and place one near the mouth. If you have shrimps or crabs feed them first, otherwise they will steal the mysis off the ric before they can eat it.

You can feed the candy cane and the ricordea Mysis, but the leather needs very fine particles and it really isn't necessary to feed it directly. Feeding will spur growth in the candy cane for sure, I feed mine once a week. I also feed the ricordea I have but it has yet to split or grow substantially in a year.

I use to target feed most of my lps i.e candy canes, frogspawn, blastos trumpets etc, fed them mainly mysis. I can't comment on the rics or leathers though.

sweet! sometimes the candy cane's tentacles come out, but only a TINY bit and sometimes only on one or two heads. is that normal? my lights aren't off for that long (while i am awake) so i am thinking that may be the reason.

my rics eat mysis, I just take some tweezers and place one near the mouth. If you have shrimps or crabs feed them first, otherwise they will steal the mysis off the ric before they can eat it.

i am very diligent with the feeding. i have one firefish only and i feed him pellets one by one so i dont have uneaten food laying around so i havent gotten any crabs or shrimps yet (tank is almost 1 month old) and no algae or anything growing that i can see

the best trick you can do is blenderize the mysis

all candy canes spit out whole mysis, all corals do, none of them eat the whole shrimp. all those vids of tubastreas eating whole mysis werent updated, 70% of the meat was spat out at night :)

but that is still of great nutritional value, it helps all lps and I agree the leathers dont need any direct feeding,

you blenderize the mysis in cubes then feed it, little trick to stick to their mesenteries better. i have no idea if it makes a diff lol

once when they were spitting out the mass I saw it, and more was sticking inside since it was smaller pieces

Archived