Pod Your Reef

Final List.

Jimmyboo

I agree with Mr.Brightside on the salt recommendation, but it looks like you already bought the reef crystals. It really isn't necessary, not now anyway. The purpose of having the elevated mineral levels is to compensate for the continual reduction due to coral growth. With a tank that small, you will be performing large water changes every week to a week and a half; and unless that thing is filled with a ton of stony corals, the weekly water changes should be more than sufficient to replace what is taken up. If you were going a month or more between water changes, it may be an issue, but I wouldn't push water changes that long on something this small. There isn't a problem running that salt if you don't need to, but it's money spent that could go elsewhere. You can always switch over next bag/box/bucket.

Wait until you get the refractometer before setting anything up. You can get the water mixing and warming up in the morning if you just have to do something, but waiting until you can actually verify parameters before anything goes in the tank is the best and safest idea. Could lead to a headache if you set everything up and realize that you goofed and misread the bag or estimated volumes wrong and ended up with a cup of salt per gallon where you were supposed to ba at half a cup per gallon or something like that.

You will need some time for the salt to fully disolve (varies by salt brand. Some people mix for a minimum of 12 to 24 hours before doing a water change) and for the water to warm up, so no harm in starting that in the morning if you anticipate everything being delivered by the time you get home so you can get right to it.

Make sure you are using distilled or RODI water. Distilled an be purchased at grocery store or Walmart for less than a buck a gallon. This is necessary to prevent algae growth. I'll disagree - since you plan on corals it's better to use a reef salt than a salt that is meant for fish only tanks. 30 minutes mixing with a powerhead is more than enough. If you need to heat it, the microwave works well for heating gallon jugs or you can just fill your sink with hot water. On such a small tank you need your water change water to match precisely your tank water, although for the initial setup it just needs to be 72-82.

For right now use the instant ocean, once you get into things like lps and sps you can make the switch. It takes longer than 30 minutes mixing to dissolve the minerals into the water usually. I know I keep instant ocean o hand for emergencies because it doesn't take as long for it to dissolve as it does reef crystals. It takes a good 8 hours if not 24 hours for the minerals to dissolve in reef crystals, I was talking to the no so lfs owner and will use instant ocean after only 2 hours mixing but reef crystals it takes at least overnight, The premade water they sell is instant ocean not reef crystals. Remember you will probably be doing nearly 100% water change so the minerals will be replenished at a faster rate than in a larger tank that only 10 to 20 percent is being changed out.

If you have a walmart with a water machine that you fill up your own jugs you can use that as well as distilled water.

Hi guys thanks for all the input. My overall plan is too put the saltwater in bucket tonight and let it sit for roughly 24 hours before I add it to the tank. I dont have a powerhead so I guess I will just hand stir every once in a while. Then I will check all the levels and get stuff started. I know for a fact that all the stuff is arriving tomorrow so I am pretty excited.

One last thing, I just find it a bad idea to microwave water (Mstefa1). Did you know that if you use normal water and give it to a plant, vs using the same amount of microwaved water, the plant wont grow with the microwaved water. Its pretty weird, thats why I am a bit skeptical of it.

Best,

JB

I like the way you have it planned out. Even the spaceship-looking thermometer: it adds a bit of quirkiness to your already eclectic tank. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

I like the way you have it planned out. Even the spaceship-looking thermometer: it adds a bit of quirkiness to your already eclectic tank. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out!

thank you, will keep everyone updated!

One last thing, I just find it a bad idea to microwave water (Mstefa1). Did you know that if you use normal water and give it to a plant, vs using the same amount of microwaved water, the plant wont grow with the microwaved water. Its pretty weird, thats why I am a bit skeptical of it.

Best,

JB

I've never microwave water and fed it to a plant but have been microwaving water for my reef tanks for years. No issues growing corals here.

It takes longer than 30 minutes mixing to dissolve the minerals into the water usually. I know I keep instant ocean o hand for emergencies because it doesn't take as long for it to dissolve as it does reef crystals. It takes a good 8 hours if not 24 hours for the minerals to dissolve in reef crystals, I was talking to the no so lfs owner and will use instant ocean after only 2 hours mixing but reef crystals it takes at least overnight,

Show me the science behind what you are saying.

In fact, Red Sea coral pro salt specifically states to mix for 30 minutes to 2 hours. It also has a warning NOT to mix for over 4 hours. Here is the manual... http://www.redseafish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/10116-Coral-Pro-Salt-manual_EN.RF_.DE_.IT_.ES_.PT_.JP_.CH-2013a.pdf

Different people have different ways of achieving the same thing. I don't believe everything i hear without seeing factual data to back up their claim.

If you have a walmart with a water machine that you fill up your own jugs you can use that as well as distilled water.

Have you tested the TDS from Walmart? This is sold as drinking water, not 0 TDS water.

I've never microwave water and fed it to a plant but have been microwaving water for my reef tanks for years. No issues growing corals here.

Ok, was just saying based on what I have heard. Who knows it may help with preventing algae!

New Thread comes out Tomorrow Or Friday.

With a tank that small, you may be able to get away with using a ZeorWater pitcher. The 23 cup version will get you a full water change and it comes with a TDS meter. I'm not sure how long the filters will last for you. I'm on a well with a relatively low mineral content and I'm not dealing with chlorine or chloramine, so it works out to be cost effective for me.

Show me the science behind what you are saying.

In fact, Red Sea coral pro salt specifically states to mix for 30 minutes to 2 hours. It also has a warning NOT to mix for over 4 hours. Here is the manual... http://www.redseafish.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/10116-Coral-Pro-Salt-manual_EN.RF_.DE_.IT_.ES_.PT_.JP_.CH-2013a.pdf

Different people have different ways of achieving the same thing. I don't believe everything i hear without seeing factual data to back up their claim.

Have you tested the TDS from Walmart? This is sold as drinking water, not 0 TDS water.

Yes I have and it tested better than the lfs ro water which had nitrates and phosphates.

With a tank that small, you may be able to get away with using a ZeorWater pitcher. The 23 cup version will get you a full water change and it comes with a TDS meter. I'm not sure how long the filters will last for you. I'm on a well with a relatively low mineral content and I'm not dealing with chlorine or chloramine, so it works out to be cost effective for me.

I've read a number of people use that and it works well for them. You just have to decide if it's cost effective. Actually I dislike drinking 0 tds water. Lol

Yes I have and it tested better than the lfs ro water which had nitrates and phosphates.

compare it to a properly maintained rodi system. Most lfs I wouldn't purchase fish from, let alone water.
saltman123

Never tested it since I never had a TDS meter, but I've been buying the green cap water at Walmart labeled as Reverse Osmosis for 7+ years now. There was definitely a point where the bottle top changed, and I felt like I would get some algae growing here or there so I always related it to the water not being as pure.

After all these years i'm finally ready to just bite the bullet and install an RO/DI unit. I'm searching around and trying to decide if i'm going to get one that outputs RO for drinking as well, or just go RO/DI and forget about drinking it. Man, a simple search on if its safe to drink RO and RO/DI brings some scary long reads. Not sure if I want to even bother now...

Either way, my recommendation is to buy an RO/DI unit, even if its just a cheaper one. At almost $1 per gallon, if you are doing top off and water changes in a year or so you could probably have it paid for. Wish I took my own advice many years ago.

Did you rinse the sand a lot before you put it in?

No. Read conflicting reports on that, but many claim that its better not to because you remove a lot of the high surface area pieces when doing so.

I am also wondering what people say I should do to start cycling the tank? Just drop a small piece of shrimp in there or something?

Also, I slightly misjudged the size of the heater for the tank, and its pretty long. I have it holding straight, but the end of it goes into the sand by about a 1/2". Anyone know if thats ok?

Never tested it since I never had a TDS meter, but I've been buying the green cap water at Walmart labeled as Reverse Osmosis for 7+ years now. There was definitely a point where the bottle top changed, and I felt like I would get some algae growing here or there so I always related it to the water not being as pure.

After all these years i'm finally ready to just bite the bullet and install an RO/DI unit. I'm searching around and trying to decide if i'm going to get one that outputs RO for drinking as well, or just go RO/DI and forget about drinking it. Man, a simple search on if its safe to drink RO and RO/DI brings some scary long reads. Not sure if I want to even bother now...

Either way, my recommendation is to buy an RO/DI unit, even if its just a cheaper one. At almost $1 per gallon, if you are doing top off and water changes in a year or so you could probably have it paid for. Wish I took my own advice many years ago.

I've bought store "bottled" RODI and tested it with no issues. Most people don't realize that a nitrate and phosphate kit meant for saltwater won't test properly with RODI. They need to be using a TDS meter to test their water. I was stating that people shouldn't use the store systems where you fill your own jugs as that is meant for drinking.

RODI system is perfect for most, but many nano guys on a budget are better off buying jugs at Walmart or the grocery store.

No. Read conflicting reports on that, but many claim that its better not to because you remove a lot of the high surface area pieces when doing so.

I don't rinse live sand.

I am also wondering what people say I should do to start cycling the tank? Just drop a small piece of shrimp in there or something?

Also, I slightly misjudged the size of the heater for the tank, and its pretty long. I have it holding straight, but the end of it goes into the sand by about a 1/2". Anyone know if thats ok?

Let the tank be to cycle, it will do so just fine on it's own. Some people pee in their tank. Just forget it for 3 weeks.

Heater shouldn't be touching anything.

Archived