Innovative Marine Aquariums

dinoflagellate query

jjharrisx4

Ok, so I did some research on the dreaded Dinoflagellates, and found a lot of really great hints to get rid of it. The problem is, I always hear of red or brown Dino. I've got a slimy snotty looking film on my sand and a bit on my LR but my slimy snotty bubbly stuff is GREEN, not red or brown. What gives...I can never just have the normal issues, they are always issues on STEROIDS.

Maybe this has something to do with my fish dying over the weekend. This stuff just started appearing last week (tues or so) and the fish were dead on monday (office tank). My plan of action is to not add any fish for a month or so (corals and inverts only) limit feeding, regular water changes (15g tank so maybe 1-2 g/day changes) for a couple weeksand keep a close eye on ph etc.. I've been a bit negligent with this tank so I'll be better from now on.

Sounds like cyano. It is commonly called algae but it's a bacteria that grows in slimey mats that covers everything. It can be even more trouble in nano tanks because it traps oxygen. That may be why your fish died.

It usually grows with high organic levels, unstable temp, or lack of water flow usually. It is also know to be somewhat seasonal.

I've been a bit negligent with this tank so I'll be better from now on.

This is very likely to be the case if you have been a bit negligent. It's common and treatable. Water changes help (getting water chemistry back in check) and breaking it up with your hands will get you filters picking it up for cleaning.

Cameron

Well, I tested my water and here it goes:

Amm = 0

no2 = 0

no3 = 0

alk = 9dKh

CA = 440ppm

PH = 8.4

I'm begining to think it's cyno myself as well. I vacuumed it up and did a 5g change. I also added another PH to the tank for circulation (total of 200g/h) in 3 different directions.

Regarding the power...I have an alarm clock here to use as a tester for power outages. So far it hasn't went out once so that isn't the issue. Maybe there was a bit of a resurgence of ick over the weekend. I added an unquarantined fish a while back that showed spots for about 2 days, but it seemed to have gone away. Who knows.

Sounds good. The cyano may have just poped up from the lack of flow or possibly the stray from the normal maintenance routine. Sounds like you may have it beat though....

Good luck, Cameron

NO- CYANO- made by Fish Vet. works great.. Also Red sea red Slime remover.... Aquatronics.. its Kanocyn with the PhosphoOrthic group detached.... You could also try Arythromyacyn. It will kill Gram Posetive bacteria. ,( If My memory serves properly) zzz

I also have some red cyano and what appears to be green cyano growing in my tank. I'm getting a new shipment of LS in the next week or so, so I am planning on either scooping out the patch of sand where it's growing or just covering it up with about half an inch of sand. Anyone see any issues with doing the latter? I'd rather not take out sand, but I will if necessary :)

Archived