Cultivated Reef

Biocube 29 Retro Install (Lots of pics)

netsecpro

I just got mine installed yesterday and have them set 1-80 2-40. Are those ok starting numbers for acclimation?

What size tank do you have?

I think you can be safe in bumping those numbers up

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When first starting out? Mine was at 140 100. My torch already started bleaching a little so i turned it waaaay down this morning.

I'm not familiar with torch corals, but I have acros and no problems at all.

I'm not familiar with torch corals, but I have acros and no problems at all.

I had notice a couple of tentacles had turned white instead of their normal dark grey.

ok ok ok. So you only cut a hole for the fan in the reflector, and not the hood?? I thought the fan needed to go all the way through and be exposed.

Nope, just the reflector. There is plenty of room for the heat to be moved.

-DAve

• 1 month later...

So now me...Nuvo 16 cracked 2 days ago....got to get my NanoBox Duo in the hood. Does anyone, Dave???, think I could just mount my Duo, housing and all with zip ties through the gills in the reflector?

Ok Todd is not waiting, he's doing deconstruction of the Duo now.....trying to slip the light out of the housing.....Dave? any directions?

Dave does this void our warranty :P

My techie hubby (he is a PC tech) has it all worked out and we left the lighting in the BC intact for redundancy. Yeeha we are rollin. Will post my pics shortly.

Success! The only thing we are worried about is wicking which may take place from the fabric covering that leads to Dave's light. We are going to go get some heat shrink to cover it today. Meanwhile, I soaked it in finger nail polish which soaked into the fabric and will help stop the wicking until we can get it on.

Here are the pics of our retro fit of Nano Box Due into our BioCube hood:

We didn't even have to take anything out of the hood, so all appliances in the hood were not touched, we just took off the BC light cover, and after removing Dave's light unit from its metal housing, we installed the Nano Box Duo with zip ties which were mounted on the additional add on LED fixtures already there:

IMG_0607-XL.jpg

The black empty space in the middle between the two square power bricks and the tubes is where we attached the Nano Box. We just slipped in a few "spacers" which were actually butter bean low voltage electrical connectors that were the perfect size to slip snugly into the heat sink and keep the fan away and free to circulate even better.

IMG_0608-L.jpg

IMG_0609-L.jpg

Then we just ran the cord out and down behind the outlet for the other wiring by cutting a small piece out of the grommet that insulates the light cover and then out the back of the hood. We simply drilled a hole and then snipped a piece out of the hole the BC wiring went through, pushed the Nano Box cord into it and voila done! Connected all the power and the Storm controller and we're in business, so proud of us!

IMG_0611-L.jpg

Working great:

IMG_0612-L.jpg

• 11 months later...

Curious how this worked out long term?

Success! The only thing we are worried about is wicking which may take place from the fabric covering that leads to Dave's light. We are going to go get some heat shrink to cover it today. Meanwhile, I soaked it in finger nail polish which soaked into the fabric and will help stop the wicking until we can get it on.

Here are the pics of our retro fit of Nano Box Due into our BioCube hood:

We didn't even have to take anything out of the hood, so all appliances in the hood were not touched, we just took off the BC light cover, and after removing Dave's light unit from its metal housing, we installed the Nano Box Duo with zip ties which were mounted on the additional add on LED fixtures already there:

IMG_0607-XL.jpg

The black empty space in the middle between the two square power bricks and the tubes is where we attached the Nano Box. We just slipped in a few "spacers" which were actually butter bean low voltage electrical connectors that were the perfect size to slip snugly into the heat sink and keep the fan away and free to circulate even better.

IMG_0608-L.jpg

IMG_0609-L.jpg

Then we just ran the cord out and down behind the outlet for the other wiring by cutting a small piece out of the grommet that insulates the light cover and then out the back of the hood. We simply drilled a hole and then snipped a piece out of the hole the BC wiring went through, pushed the Nano Box cord into it and voila done! Connected all the power and the Storm controller and we're in business, so proud of us!

IMG_0611-L.jpg

Working great:

IMG_0612-L.jpg

Curious how this worked out long term?

There are quite a few people using these. Not a ton of members on NR but a bunch out there. Basser has had one for ~3 years now!

There are quite a few people using these. Not a ton of members on NR but a bunch out there. Basser has had one for ~3 years now!

I am looking at your retro kit for my Biocube, but I see they used the Duo inside the light cover. Was curious if they ran in to any issues setting it up this way. Looks easier to set up since don't have to tear out the stock lights.

.. But after comparing the price of the retro to the Duo it is more cost efficient to get the retro.

The put a large retro in there and not DUO. They just did not take everything out. You can do this but I feel it works better tearing it all out.

-Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I found it, the website is kind of weird to me. Prices are not listed on the retro pag and I didn't know large or small when I found it on the price listing at the bottom. Some more info on Web page would help maybe? If you don't mind me asking why is this kit better than rapid Leds?

I found it, the website is kind of weird to me. Prices are not listed on the retro pag and I didn't know large or small when I found it on the price listing at the bottom. Some more info on Web page would help maybe? If you don't mind me asking why is this kit better than rapid Leds?

Both great kits. I personally prefer how easy it is to install my Retro as it is all set up for you. As well includes the Bluefish controller.

-Dave

• 1 month later...

Both great kits. I personally prefer how easy it is to install my Retro as it is all set up for you. As well includes the Bluefish controller.

-Dave

Dave,

I have the Coralife Biocube 29, and am wondering, with the Retro kit, is there soldering involved? I have no prob cutting a hole in the reflector for a fan, just not a fan of having to solder wiring.

Thanks!

Dave,

I have the Coralife Biocube 29, and am wondering, with the Retro kit, is there soldering involved? I have no prob cutting a hole in the reflector for a fan, just not a fan of having to solder wiring.

Thanks!

No soldering required. :)

Dave,

Thank you for the info! Which retro is more specific for the hood of my cube, the small or large retro?

Archived