inTank Media Baskets

Red Hair algae

eferna

I know it cant be the overfeeding cause i only feed once a day and that too just one piece of brine shrimp. It cant be the make up water or so i hope so cause i used R/O water.

second2n0ne

How old is the tank?  Inhabitants?  When was the last time you changed your filters?  If you have a TDS meter, you should be getting <50PPM with your RO.

tank is about 5 weeks. 1 clown and 3 astreas and 4 blue leg hermits.

I dont have an RO unit myself but I but it from my LFS.

Light is on 12 hours a day.

How many water changes are you doing and how often? If you are not doing enough changes frequently enough, IMO no amount of filtering will prevent algae problems in most tanks. Dealing with the algae is really pretty straight forward:

>>Do frequent and consistent water changes of 10-15% at least

>> Back off on the lighting time length

>> Be SURE the H2) is pure. Even if you are buying from the LFS, test it for Phosphates and other contaminates

>> Do not over feed

>> Be sure you have good flow - "dead spots" where detritus accumulates can cause algae blooms

>> Clams and Macro Algae help keep the NO3 "fuel" down

>> Keep your temps down, algae likes warmer temps

>> Finally, keep your filter clean! If they get old and gunked up they become breeding gounds for algae and foul up your tank

Hope this helps!

Joxer the Mighty

For what it's worth, I have been battling red algae (cyano, which is actually a bacteria) for a few months. I finally got rid of my biowheel about a month ago, and the cyano has started to disappear. I also began to do more frequent water changes, 2 gallons a week. I have a 12 gallon tank. Not sure if it was the water changes or dumping the biowheel that brought about results. Maybe a combination of both.

Archived