ReefCleaners.org

2 week cycle test results.. good or bad?

darkdancer333

darkdancer333

This weekend I went to the Asian gals reef store with my water

My sailinity was over 1028 no wonder my snails died. I got rid of the bobble hydrometer.

My ammonia was high as was phosphates.Nitrate was 10-20 an Nitrite was .5

After some water changes an some tank additivies these are the new results

Ammonia=0

Phosphate=.5

Nitrate=2-5

Nitrite=.1

Salinity =1025-1026

MG= 1360

KH= 3.3 meq 9.2akh

Ca= 410

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Getting there :)

Phosphate 0.5 ? is that 0.05, really should be aiming for 0.03 and under for optimal coral health and algae "bashing" :)

Keep your eye on nitrate over the week see if it changes without you W/C'ing anymore.

Nitrites very close to the magic zero :)

Salinity, there is alot of debate on this too, as i've said I ask my chap over here in the marine centre common salinity markers, mainly he says 1.025 (which mine is), another guy (avid reefer in there) he says he keeps his at 1.024, what did your Asian super lady suggest on this ? :) And well done for nipping the water down to her, at least now you can be assured your own test kits are good.

Good move on the floaty hydrometer :)

the rest looks ok :) .... what additives did you add :)

darkdancer333

She

Getting there :)

Phosphate 0.5 ? is that 0.05, really should be aiming for 0.03 and under for optimal coral health and algae "bashing" :)

Keep your eye on nitrate over the week see if it changes without you W/C'ing anymore.

Nitrites very close to the magic zero :)

Salinity, there is alot of debate on this too, as i've said I ask my chap over here in the marine centre common salinity markers, mainly he says 1.025 (which mine is), another guy (avid reefer in there) he says he keeps his at 1.024, what did your Asian super lady suggest on this ? :) And well done for nipping the water down to her, at least now you can be assured your own test kits are good.

Good move on the floaty hydrometer :)

the rest looks ok :) .... what additives did you add :)

She wanted my Calcium up to 440 so I got some additive for that. I have another to raise alkalinity. One to raise PH

one to remove ammonia an chlorine, vitamin amino acid supplement

Today she tested my water again an said we can add coral an fish, we got 2 snails lol , 1 feather duster, 1 small zoa with like 6 heads,

The other zoa has like 20 heads lol but it's small, An 1 green polyp

2 tiny clownfish

Salinity she wants about 1024 I am between 1024-1025

It's funny how her coral is way cheaper, the guy at the other reef store wants $10 a head for zoas and like $70-90 for a polyp

She was like $ 39 for the blue zoa, 15 for the other zoa and 30 for the polyp, feather duster was 19

Yup, all good on the additive front, all good as far as you can test for all too :) obviously apart from the vitamin, but hey, just follow instructions maybe knock a bit off, just be slightly on the leaner side, and just watch the tank, hopefully with vitamins you should see maybe after you add more and varied corals, a "happier" stock on it if you like.

I tried to advise you on the "perfect" side of the cycle, if the good lady is happy to add fish and corals, so am I, I did risk my opening stock with a few traces of the nasties still in there, all gone now, but you'll understand, I cant tell you to do the same as me :)

Salinity, i'd have to agree with the good lady here aswell :) well we daren't argue LOL :) no she's about on the money there :)

As far as corals go, hmmm, how to say LOL, its best to shop around, see who you trust and more importantly like, weigh up the advice given apposed to costs of corals / fish, some may charge more but give better or more suited advice, best thing, your getting good advice there and its cheaper, bargain bucket :) as I say here (KFC chicken bucket, I use it as meaning cracking or good LOL)

mmmm, I smell some pictures coming soon :)

darkdancer333

Yup, all good on the additive front, all good as far as you can test for all too :) obviously apart from the vitamin, but hey, just follow instructions maybe knock a bit off, just be slightly on the leaner side, and just watch the tank, hopefully with vitamins you should see maybe after you add more and varied corals, a "happier" stock on it if you like.

I tried to advise you on the "perfect" side of the cycle, if the good lady is happy to add fish and corals, so am I, I did risk my opening stock with a few traces of the nasties still in there, all gone now, but you'll understand, I cant tell you to do the same as me :)

Salinity, i'd have to agree with the good lady here aswell :) well we daren't argue LOL :) no she's about on the money there :)

As far as corals go, hmmm, how to say LOL, its best to shop around, see who you trust and more importantly like, weigh up the advice given apposed to costs of corals / fish, some may charge more but give better or more suited advice, best thing, your getting good advice there and its cheaper, bargain bucket :) as I say here (KFC chicken bucket, I use it as meaning cracking or good LOL)

mmmm, I smell some pictures coming soon :)

lol pics as soon as they come out . Everything I got is small.. I want to watch them grow:) Zoas do they have to be fully out in the open. I have one 2/3 in the open. there is the big rock overhead but it still gets light from the tank

Now doesn't that look sweet :)

Just monitor that little coral over the week or so, he should be fine, zoas are pretty adaptive though, I have about a 6 or so bunch, Bro gave it to me, just the single heads not on anything, they fell down the side of the right of my rockwork, attached now and against the glass in the thinnest of places, probably only see 25% or so of the available light, they're doing grand :)

darkdancer333

the zoa on lower right seems to open up more than the one on the left. The left one only opens 3-4 heads is this normal ?? some open an some not??

the polyp is doing ok the duster only comes out hen the lights are off he is gun-shy lol any movement he darts back inside.

is it to soon to feed?? or should I wait 3 days ??

Give them a few days and see, corals can be funny and finnicky at the best of times, your parameters are fine, remember though also, you have a fresh tank with your additions only being a few days in, its a bit like throwing me or you in a foreign environment with a different air quality or heat say, it takes time to "bed in", only corals being longer as they're fussy LOL :)

The duster, yes, I have a few strays on my rocks, they are the same even now, lights off and they're off to the races :) lights on and its twiddle my thumbs and watch very little happening :) I don't think theyre shy, just a more dark loving creature :)

On the feeding, obviously try the fish, go a little and see how they eat, you can repeat if needed till you can judge your preferred amount per day / feed. The corals, I think you said you have a vitamin supplement, read the back of the bottle well, and remember you only have a tiny amount of corals in there for now, so definitely go on the "shy" side of addition there for now.

Of course as with all things live, everything takes time, see how they settle in a few days to even a week or so, I know not many people chime in here, so if you like, try posting about the zoa's in the relevant section, i'm sure theres not to much to worry over for now though, if you start a new thread, just make sure you suggest there ages to your tank, lighting, parameters ect.

:):)

darkdancer333

Give them a few days and see, corals can be funny and finnicky at the best of times, your parameters are fine, remember though also, you have a fresh tank with your additions only being a few days in, its a bit like throwing me or you in a foreign environment with a different air quality or heat say, it takes time to "bed in", only corals being longer as they're fussy LOL :)

The duster, yes, I have a few strays on my rocks, they are the same even now, lights off and they're off to the races :) lights on and its twiddle my thumbs and watch very little happening :) I don't think theyre shy, just a more dark loving creature :)

On the feeding, obviously try the fish, go a little and see how they eat, you can repeat if needed till you can judge your preferred amount per day / feed. The corals, I think you said you have a vitamin supplement, read the back of the bottle well, and remember you only have a tiny amount of corals in there for now, so definitely go on the "shy" side of addition there for now.

Of course as with all things live, everything takes time, see how they settle in a few days to even a week or so, I know not many people chime in here, so if you like, try posting about the zoa's in the relevant section, i'm sure theres not to much to worry over for now though, if you start a new thread, just make sure you suggest there ages to your tank, lighting, parameters ect.

:):)

so if a zoa has 10 heads an only 4 are out this is normal I guess. The fish are all over the tank one is bright orange an other light orange so its not hard to tell the male lol. they dont eat the frozen mysis. i tried a little yesterday and they didnt touch. They like the pellets

i did put a bit of liquid coral food yesterday I just put it in front of the pump..

Snails are doing well also

She wants me to get mushroom corals next.. those are beautiful.

One if my zoas is on a rock like log will they grow an expand to the surrrounding rock. I know the polyps will expand

Zoa's spread like anything yes, providing you provide the water condition, and you have, just keep that going :)

I cant see why your zoa's wont open to be honest, leave it till tomorrow, make a note if you have to on whats open now, tomorrow after the lights have been on the majority of the day, see then, if there is no sign at all of the closed ones, even by a minor amount, call the shop concerned see what they say, usually a couple of days or so you should see some life, anything upto a week is sort of acceptable to open if they're shocked or acclimatising for any reason.

I'm dosing phyto, by the 50ml a day, but ive asked my chap over here if I need to anymore, as the copepods etc in my tank have gone now, probably cos I stir the sand each night and hoover every other, im sure the rest have been chomped by the skimmer LOL, my corals are softies and on research they seem only to need light 100% and it seems food is a bonus only, so thats my dilemma for now, awaiting email from him now, also whether or not to add carbon, i'd like to, just rather utilise him for some advice on the pro's and con's..

On a good note, my brother (as I cant drive for now) is going to see my fish chap tomorrow, picking me up a melanarus and cleaner wrasse, and hopefully a red fire shrimp :)

I LOVE mushrooms too :)

My fish guy just came back at now gone midnight, he's a busy guy alright :)

Said on my tank, don't worry feeding phyto, just use Rowa in a reactor (I do) and carbon in small quantities in the sump (will do shortly) :)

Stroll on later when I get my new fish and shrimp :)

darkdancer333

My fish guy just came back at now gone midnight, he's a busy guy alright :)

Said on my tank, don't worry feeding phyto, just use Rowa in a reactor (I do) and carbon in small quantities in the sump (will do shortly) :)

Stroll on later when I get my new fish and shrimp :)

few days she wants me to add more snails an hermits, she said like 10 each

Yup I can see her point there :) there's no real limits on either tbh, ignore the one per gallon or whatever it is rule, if your feeding them too, aswell as them all picking at bits throughout the day, thats fine :)

... let me think on my stocks here, mine's a 120 ltr roughly with sump -

About a good 8 various snails, not to sure on there variety tbh, some stripey and round like a stripey sweet, they mooch around the glass.

4 or 5 other glass loving type snails

at least 12-15 nassarius snails, they lay dormant under the sand with like a snorkel up, then pop up like submarines when its food time :)

3 or 4 cerith snails, little tiny ones.

4 algae hermits (the nutters you see in the vids)

3 or so tiny red legs

I'm rubbish with names on snails so sorry for the "loose" descriptions, I just asked for "what they do" rather than names LOL :)

Other CUC's are a brittle star, his body is an average coin size, but his legs are about 5 or so inches long each, a cleaner shrimp, tomorrow hopefully a blood red shrimp too :)

They all happily munch on any offerings I give, flake, mysis (shrimp goes nuts) and other crab snacks :)

Just check with her, make sure she's happy with your feedings, and see if she suggests any "nibbles" for them all, I have crab cuisine (pellets) and spirulina (algae) tabs :)

... Crab treats are relatively cheap too, and they dont need much :)

darkdancer333

... Oh and a hitch hiker pistol shrimp that keeps clicking away at me :)

lol what other food do I need I am still getting diatoms why she wanted more snails

now I have pellets an mysis

thats cool then, stick with those foods, although nowadays flake can offer some nice alternatives or for alternate days, I have a couple of different types mixed in one tub :)

next time your down there, talk over your concerns about diatoms, see what she thinks, although as said I think your parameters are all good.

Sorry for the response time, a little hoovering, rock blasting, and sand bed clean :)

I would stop buying any more coral and wait until your tank produce enough biological to support life. Otherwise you might lose them all. Diatom algae is the coral enemy. Just wait for couple months

Good luck.

darkdancer333

I would stop buying any more coral and wait until your tank produce enough biological to support life. Otherwise you might lose them all. Diatom algae is the coral enemy. Just wait for couple months

Good luck.

I didnt plan for a while on coral. I need more snails an hermits..

I do notice that some of the brownish algae is being replaced by reddish color on the live rock

i thought diatoms were normal in the beginning..

thats cool then, stick with those foods, although nowadays flake can offer some nice alternatives or for alternate days, I have a couple of different types mixed in one tub :)

next time your down there, talk over your concerns about diatoms, see what she thinks, although as said I think your parameters are all good.

Sorry for the response time, a little hoovering, rock blasting, and sand bed clean :)

Its good I'm at work

I also have some green starting on the rock as well as a reddih color

The green and red is all part of it, I still blow red off my rocks and stir off the sand, and i've got a few stray clumps of green, only tiny tho :)

darkdancer333

just tested again an nitrite=0\

nitrate=10-15

ammonia=0

phosphate=2

1 snail i cant find lol I looked at all the rocks no idea where he went

The plant and the phosgard were suppose to lower the Phospates its been 3 days an levels have not dropped yet

Plant ? :)

All phosphate media's take a good time, remember also, although we all wish not, but live rock even sand to an extent, comes with phosphates, its best to say it, some low some high, then all your water to add to it, you see, if it took it straight down overnight chances are your corals would go into serious shock, and thats not good.

I must say though, phosphates at 2, thats gonna need some work by any media to drop, maybe even several doses worth, depends how long it lasts and to what level of saturation it has, also remember here, you may have 2 now, but by the time you start dropping it, its still adding if you get me from all the inhabitants / food ect, so in reality, you may have to look at doubling it at least, you never can tell.

Mine now sits at 0.03 or under, but its been like that since I started rowaphos a month ago, but it hasnt gone into "worry" levels - 0.03 and over.

Snails are buggers at best of times for hiding, same with nutter crabs :)

You got worries, I got my melanarus and cleaner wrasses earlier, had my tea, and now they are both gone, one is 2.5 inch say, the melanarus a good 2.5, both vamoosed :) they're under the sand somewhere, they're known for panic on putting in your tank :)

Hopefully tomorrow i'll see them ... possibly :)

Archived