Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pulsing xenia not pulsing

Horsey_Cat

Look up anthelia online and see if that looks like what you have. It is very similar but I think it rarely pulses if at all.

I looked up anthelia and Im pretty sure thats not it. I will get a pic when the lights come on.

Why did the first pulsing xenia die? If you do not have any pumps, how are you promoting gas exchange?

I wasnt topping off as much as I should, so it got a little too salty. And to answer your second question BUBBLES!!! :) :) :)

From my understanding and from what my marine biologist neighbour told me xenia typically pulse to ensure water flows through the polyps so that they may feed. Many highly pulsating varieties will vary the pulse rate according to flow (and lighting, too) which I witnessed with my xenia, the "silver pulsing" variety. Unfortunately, as a commenter above stated not too much is understood about this behaviour as a vigorously pulsing xenia could all of a sudden decide to no longer exhibit the same behaviour. Again, I witnessed the same happen with mine: in the beginning they pulsed like mad ... then they almost died ... came back from near death ... morphed in colour ... no longer pulsed at all ... and now they're beginning to pulse again ... all over a course of roughly 7 months. Go figure.

Xenia typically rebound fairly well when placed into a new tank however, like many other species of coral some may take a bit of time to acclimate 100% to the new environment. Seeing as you've had this frag just a day or two (pic please) my suggestion is to wait a few more days to see how the xenia responds. If they are still not pulsating and the LFS knows this is the reason you purchased the particular variety I would have a chat with them. Perhaps they could swap out the frag with a known pulsing specimen or provide a refund?

Just my two cents but ... like you I *really* enjoy seeing the pulsating action of the polyps. So relaxing :happy:

PS - +1 on verifying if you acquired xenia or actually anthelia. I've seen a few LFSs here label anthelia as xenia and vice versa.

Thank you I appreciate your comment.

How has this thread made it this far without a picture?

It's probably anthelia, especially if the polyps are extra long or short and either pink or blue.

I doubt its anthelia but I will get a pic up soon.

Anthelia for sure. They do pulse sometimes but most of the time they just wave around in the current.

My variety is smaller and thin with a slight blue color on the tips of the feathery parts.

Here is an older picture of my pink anthelia before I killed off 95% of it. It's now happy and expanding on my 20, encrusting up the back wall of the tank.

pinkanthelia.jpg

There are numerous varieties of Anthelia. There is a large variety that gets gigantic and typically is light tan with brown margins. There is also a cool blue variety, larger than clove polyps, and notoriously difficult to keep alive. I had some for a few years that finally died on me.

Still ... a very nice coral. If you're looking specifically for Xenia then while at your LFS examine the specimen. Many varieties will freely pulse however the growth habit is different: Xenia will grow from stalks while anthelia will form a mat with some actually growing from runners.

Coral Gardens has a nice video posted to their Tubes of You channel speaking on the differences between the two. Check that out if you want a bit more detail - they have quite a few insightful videos regarding various coral species.

Oh geez ... that sounded like a commercial. Sorry!

I've seen them labelled incorrectly at LFSs and online so it's kinda common. Just point out it's an anthelia and you wish to swap it for a xenia. Read up on the differences so you can point them out ;). Be nice though :)

I talked to the guy at the LFS today and I asked him about it. He said it came from his tank and he knows it is pulsing xenia. It was pulsing while he had it. Also, he showed me what Anthelia looks like and it looks nothing like what he sold me. What I have looks like pulsing xenia to me, besides the part where it doesn't pulse.

I have read that anthelia can pulse sometimes. I have pulsing xenia and it has a taller base/main stalk, and the polyps look slightly different than the one in your picture. IMO you either have a different type of xenia, than the average, white pulsing xenia or it is Anthelia. Mine is in the background behind the acro, couldn't really find a good pic. But I would look online, there has to be a definitive way to tell the difference for sure.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/null_zps4cc64900.jpg.html'>null_zps4cc64900.jpg

It's possible that it does not need to pulse.

High oxygen levels and water flow may negate the need for pulsing.

Move it to a different area, wait and see. Observe it at night.

It's possible that it does not need to pulse.

High oxygen levels and water flow may negate the need for pulsing.

Move it to a different area, wait and see. Observe it at night.

Its in very low to no flow, but it is very close to my bubbles. At night it shrivels up.

I talked to the guy at the LFS today and I asked him about it. He said it came from his tank and he knows it is pulsing xenia. It was pulsing while he had it. Also, he showed me what Anthelia looks like and it looks nothing like what he sold me. What I have looks like pulsing xenia to me, besides the part where it doesn't pulse.

Did he allow you to make an exchange at least for another type of coral? Most LFSs will allow you to exchange back out or at least provide store credit if you're not happy with the purchase.

Maybe he just doesn't have a clue?

In my short 2.5 years of reefkeeping I've never seen Xenia not pulse unless it was rapidly dying.

I took this horrible video with a handheld camera I was testing, but it shows the pulsing of Xenia in low and high flow. THis is Pom Pom Xenia, white/pink with slightly shorter stalks than other Xenia varieties.

• Like 1

Don't feel bad, I really don't know what all my stuff is I got from my LFS. I'm just glad they have something as they are the only show in town.

SquishyFishy

I bought what was advertized as pulsing Xenia and it's the worst coral in the tank. It has wasted away, and rarely pulses now. I've been told my tank is too clean for it. Here's a pic of it early on and then today...what do you think is the problem? My other stuff is doing great and multiplying.

20140301_133558-XL.jpg

Now

20140423_095204-XL.jpg

As you can see there were 3 colonies, and the bottom left one is almost totally melted. The one on the right is always closed up and the left top one pulses but very seldom.

• 4 weeks later...
harleychic

Idk if this is helpful or not, I have no scientific proof, only anecdotal experience. I bought some xenia frags from a local reefer. In her tank, all of them pulsed like crazy. She put the frags in the white bucket I brought along with some of her tank water. That water was so nutrient loaded it was BROWN in my bucket! I mean nasty! I acclimated the frags, none of which were attached to anything, shoved a rock at them and hoped for the best. Some attached to the back wall of my tank, some attached to the rock. The ones attached to the rock get a lot of light, not as much flow, they pulse. The ones attached to the bottom of the back wall get pounded with flow, and do not pulse.

Yep^^^ what he said. Flow..... I have a patch of this that came on my lr. When I turn my pumps off, it pulses like crazy, when all the pumps are on, not so much unless the mp10 is on a low setting in reef crest.

I just came back from a long holiday to find my xenia pulsing like crazy. Of course the care taker during the time felt he should feed the "cute shreeeeemp" twice daily which of course ruined my water quality lol. After a water change which corrected the parameters the xenia have returned to low to no pulsing as before. *sigh*

So ... it's like I've read for many years: they're a fickle type of coral and seem to pulse when they darn well feel like it lol. Still, I've found flow seems to be the biggest factor followed by nutrients (they seem to like "dirty water".

My suggestion is as before: insist on a trade with the LFS or let them grow a bit, frag them then trade with other local reefers. Alternatively, allow them to remain and enjoy what you can from them.

PS- in my large 90-gallon from years ago my xenia would sometimes pulse constantly then for months at a time nothing. *shrug*. They're the spoiled teenagers of the coral kingdom.

PSS - Take a look at my thread from last year. You'll find my xenia did the same thing: pulsed, stopped, melted, browned, recovered and now do their little shimmy dance whenever they choose. I suspect they party and shake and pulse while I'm sleeping then stop when I walk in the room. Teenagers ... pfffft

• 6 years later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/11/2014 at 11:37 PM, Horsey_Cat said:

I just wish they were more understood.

IODINE when mine slow down I know its time to add a drop! They need iodine! At least thats what works for me!