ReefCleaners.org

Sea Horses !

Grzzly35fragman

Grzzly35fragman

:o Hello if any one feels that they could give me helping hand i sure would take it.

I'am in question to buying a mated pair of sea horses!

and am wondering who might be out there that has had any kind of luck in rearing such a set of creatures ?

And if so please if you would give me the inside on the how to's and dont's

Thank you for your help and support

Grzzly35Fragman :woot:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

inhabitants of 25g

3 h feather dusters

10 blue leg crabs

1 zebra legged crab

1 Christmas tree rock

1 brown star polyp

1 purple clove colony

1 devils hand coral sm

5 colony's of Xenia

1 organ pipe star colony green

2 toad stools

a variety of mushrooms

lg colony of brown / green button polyps

1 sm colt coral

1 curly cue anomie

1 coral banded shrimp

and 3 green rock anomie's sm

Go with the captive bred seahorses....not only will they eat much better for you (as they are already trained to eat frozen foods), they are used to being in a tank right from the get go, they have less disease and you won't be taking them from the wild either!

The link below is the best place on the web for info on seahorses...

http://seahorse.org

Good luck!

in what size tank? if there going in a nano you'll most sertainly get dwarf. Then if there is LR in the tank, hydriods will accumulate, the dwarf horses eat these and die.

1) How big is that nano?

2) Where in IL are you?

We have a 15g "tower" tank -- about 13" on each side, and 20" tall -- and are planning on using it for seahorses. I'm hoping to get some around mid-December to mid-January.

Flying Fish Express carries captive-bred seahorses, and has a group order thing setup, which would help with the shipping costs.

Sorry, but i have a question about them...IS it a good idea to keep a pair of sea horses in my Refugium?? I have a beside tank 10 gallon with a couple of my coral frags that i am propag. 4 different types of cleurpa, 4 Marshall Island Electric blue hermits, 3 red serpent stars, 2 turbo snails...and million and millions of Pods!! some of them has grown to around 1/4" and they are huge..heheh..will seahorses eat them as food? will it be a good place for them without any fish? please advise..thanks

wulffenstein

Check some older threads. The feeling at the time was not in a nano.

Also the last 3 issues of "Freshwater and Marine Aquarium" magazine had great articles.

For ordering go to www.oceanrider.com. The biggest issue in seahorses is getting them to take prepared foods. These guys have solved this problem.

The other issue is having a low flow. Would require some thought.

I have toyed with the idea. (Sea fan corals and sea horses in a ten gallon. Hmmmm. If I tell the wife we need a new voltage regulator in the car . . . )

i've heard great things about flyingfishexpress.com and oceanrider.com. they both have captive breed and raised horses, which is the only type that i would recommend buying. i'm also setting up a seahorse tank... but it's for my wife's birthday. good luck, peace :)

Archived