Pod Your Reef

Flow in a Mr. Aqua 24" Tank

handzoff

I am currently setting up a Mr. Aqua 6.5 gallon bookshelf tank and have a Koralia 240 pump as the only flow in the tank. I am considering upgrading to the 425 due to the length of the tank. I hope to eventually keep a mixed reef of Softies LPS and SPS. Does the 425 seem like overkill for this tank? When I ran the 240 with no rock to obstruct the flow it seemed to be sufficient though maybe a bit weaker than I expected. Any thoughts or suggestion are welcome.

xLimitlessJR

I would definitely think that the 240 isn't strong enough. Thats a 2 foot tank. Maybe one 240 on each side to theres more even flow?

I would definitely think that the 240 isn't strong enough. Thats a 2 foot tank. Maybe one 240 on each side to theres more even flow?

The current 240 will end up in my 7.5 gallon bow front and I was hoping to use just one pump... would the 425 be sufficient for that? I am ok having higher and lower flow areas and stocking accordingly.

xLimitlessJR
The current 240 will end up in my 7.5 gallon bow front and I was hoping to use just one pump... would the 425 be sufficient for that? I am ok having higher and lower flow areas and stocking accordingly.

The 425 should be decent enough. Have you thought about the WP10?

The 425 should be decent enough. Have you thought about the WP10?

I have seen them and noticed an increase in folks using them maybe i'll have to take a little close look.

Nanofreak79

My tank is taller, but still 24" I'm using about 200ish gph return and alternating wavemaker with two of the 425's. More flow the better. This seems to move the water nicely around the whole tank. Basically if it were me, I'd get another 425 and use with your 240, or use two 425's.

I just ordered the 425 and will see how that works out. If needed I can pick up another 240 or 425.

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

for sure go with the 425 even that is possibly slightly borderline depending on your rock work. I have a large tall rock about 18" away from the 425 and it reverts a lot of the flow so the last 3rd of that tank is low flow but that is where I will be keeping my shroom garden and other lower flow items so it works out. I am very happy with the pump though... crazy quiet.

Archived