Innovative Marine Aquariums

WTB/WTT for Rio 800's w/ RTV

Dpidwerbecki

Dpidwerbecki

I'm looking for a couple of new Rio800's w/ RTV attachment. If you have one (say from a skimmer) and want to sell or trade it, please send me an email or reply to this thread.

Thanks,

Dave

Dpidwerbecki

Dat,

Yes, I know what you mean but I personally don't know anyone who's had trouble w/ the smaller Rio's catastrophically failing when they are in continuous operation. I also talked to the designer of the CPR skimmers and the PM HOT1 skimmer and they both said that the Rio does a much better job in this application. I have one of the venturi's that you plug into the MJ's, but I don't have any experience w/ other venturi's. Do you have a link where guys got the MJ's to work better w/ these skimmers and the venturi design that they used?

Please respond and thanks,

Dave

The Rio's seem to have really fragile impellars. I had one that came with my HOT-1 skimmer. It started to rattle, so I took it apart to find that one of the impellar blades had snapped off. And I wasn't surprised once I saw how tiny and thin the blades are. It wouldn't take much force to snap one off.

I got a MJ with the venturi kit after that. I never broke an impellar on that one, or any of the other MJ's that I used. The impellars look much sturdier when taken apart. And the MJ seemed to produce just as much foam as the Rio, although I never did a strict comparison.

I would go with the MJ for reliability. The skimmer designers may be right about the Rio producing more foam, or they may just be trying to reassure you. But if there is a performance difference, it's a small one (IMO).

-Chris

Dpidwerbecki

DAT,

Thanks a million! This is exactly what I want to do! I'll get a MJ900 for my PMHOT1 skimmer and make the venturi.

Thanks again for the link.

Dave

Archived