Cultivated Reef

Wavemakers

Elrato

if i were wanting to add a wavemaker controller to a 20L which one would you recommend? also which power heads?

i have my rock wall in the center of my tank so i really need to get some flow on both sides (front & back) of it

the 1 power head just seems to to leave to many dead spots in the tank

thanks

i have been looking into the wp10's & also the hydor korila wavemaker

disaster999

wp10 are cheap and so far the reviews seems pretty positive. They wont be as controllable as the vortechs or tunze. not sure how reliable these are. $70 on amazon...but for the price, you could probably buy 4 of these and still come up cheaper than other name brands.

Vortech mp10 are tried and true, sleek and have a wide range of functions. but they are expensive and the bearings will fail within a year or 2 of use. Also you cant adjust the direction, it will always blowing perpendicular to the glass $235 on marinedepot

Tunze 6055+7096 controller will do almost what the mp10 will do. The controller can control multiple pumps, where as Vortech, you need to buy the pump and controller if you want to add more into your tank. It has german engineering behind it and will easily last 5 years +. You can aim the tunze wherever you like because of its ball and socket base design. The controller allows infinite adjustments to suit your tank needs. But its not as sleek as the mp10 and its more expensive if you buy one pump one controller, buying more than one pump is where it starts to be cheaper than vortech. $235 pump+173 controller on marinedepot

koralia, I havent heard many people use the controllable 12V models, most people tend to buy the single speed versions with good results. The pumps are not that expensive itself, but the controller comes with a hefty price. it gets more expensive if you want to control more than 2 pumps. I didnt dig enough to see how big these are, but from experience with their non controllable pumps, they will stick out the most in the tank. $90 pump +240 controller on marinedepot

conclusion? i would try the wp10. for 70 bucks, you cant beat the price. if you are planning on upgrading your tank later to a larger thank, vortech or tunze would be a good choice.

staticx0216

I used They hydor smartwave controller and the Hydor koralia's and never had an issue with them going in reverse mode, If your going cheap I highly recommend staying away from the maxi jets, the suction cups on them suck and they can fall of the glass all the time.

A lot of people like the wp for the price, compared to the mp's.

i had 2 powerheads in my 20L (hydor koralia 425's) and 2 weeks switched them both out for 1 wp-10.

works awesome. and great price $60 shipped.

No need for powerheads and this wavemaker as its more then enough flow

wp10 are cheap and so far the reviews seems pretty positive. They wont be as controllable as the vortechs or tunze. not sure how reliable these are. $70 on amazon...but for the price, you could probably buy 4 of these and still come up cheaper than other name brands.

Vortech mp10 are tried and true, sleek and have a wide range of functions. but they are expensive and the bearings will fail within a year or 2 of use. Also you cant adjust the direction, it will always blowing perpendicular to the glass $235 on marinedepot

Tunze 6055+7096 controller will do almost what the mp10 will do. The controller can control multiple pumps, where as Vortech, you need to buy the pump and controller if you want to add more into your tank. It has german engineering behind it and will easily last 5 years +. You can aim the tunze wherever you like because of its ball and socket base design. The controller allows infinite adjustments to suit your tank needs. But its not as sleek as the mp10 and its more expensive if you buy one pump one controller, buying more than one pump is where it starts to be cheaper than vortech. $235 pump+173 controller on marinedepot

koralia, I havent heard many people use the controllable 12V models, most people tend to buy the single speed versions with good results. The pumps are not that expensive itself, but the controller comes with a hefty price. it gets more expensive if you want to control more than 2 pumps. I didnt dig enough to see how big these are, but from experience with their non controllable pumps, they will stick out the most in the tank. $90 pump +240 controller on marinedepot

conclusion? i would try the wp10. for 70 bucks, you cant beat the price. if you are planning on upgrading your tank later to a larger thank, vortech or tunze would be a good choice.

my mp 10 is older and no bearing problems

jtwisconsin

I purchased four WP10s - two going into my 40B, and two others to be used for backups/future projects. I was originally going for a MP10, but the four WP10s cost the same as one MP10.

My initial impressions with them have been very positive. I can make a fairly decent wave in my 40B just using one of them. And while some have reported noise issues, I can't hear any of mine while sitting a couple feet from the tank with the other equipment running.

If I was setting up a 20L, there would be no question in my mind that one of these would be going in my tank.

I purchased four WP10s - two going into my 40B, and two others to be used for backups/future projects. I was originally going for a MP10, but the four WP10s cost the same as one MP10.

My initial impressions with them have been very positive. I can make a fairly decent wave in my 40B just using one of them. And while some have reported noise issues, I can't hear any of mine while sitting a couple feet from the tank with the other equipment running.

If I was setting up a 20L, there would be no question in my mind that one of these would be going in my tank.

You scared me when you said you bought 4 for your 40B I thought tsunami. I have one wp25 in my 40B and it is enough, I got it when they first hit the market in my area the wp10s came out in March I haven't gotten one yet since the store that carries them are a couple of hours away.

I like how I can point the powerhead in nearly any direction and it works great you can't do that with the mp10. Once a month I take it out and scrub it with a toothbrush and pop it right back in with a little adjustment to the angle to get it perfect again. I use the feed button more when I clean the tank so I don't have to turn off anything. Noise factor I have one that I hear go on and off if nothing else is going on in the room it usually after I clean it and in a few days it stops. I say one because I have more than one tank.

I am pretty sure a wp10 is all you will need in a 20L

Archived