SaltCritters.com

JBJ needs new lighting

tonga

Go to hellolights.com and check them out. They have 28w/32w PC that will fit your tank with a bit of modification. Also it depends on what type of life you want to put in your tank.

I don't know where you are located at but Tongs in the OC CA is getting modified hoods with two 24w PC's.

look at my posts and you will see my hood with 100watts of lights in my jbj nano stock hood...3 pc's and 2 t-5's...you can also get the t-5's for the place that horrorbot is talking about (which is tong's tropical fish) they are good people to deal with...

Hey do you have any barrier between the lights and the water??

I'm putting in a 9w actinic from hellolights in my hood today... it has a weird base (GX23?). Right now I have it at work with a temp monitor, it is running 81.5 degrees.

Anyways, it has some kind of mini magnetic ballast that it is mounted on, any advice ifynanceu?

nope...no splash guard, no nothing....i have a piece of sheet acrylic that i marked to be cut, but i have had no build up or anything on the bulbs, so until i see an immediate need, i will wait...

i would buy a piece of acrylic and cut it to fit, but my t-5's have internal ballasts and i am not sweatin' it...you could use heat shrink or electrical tape if you are worried, but i actually like mine without the guard..better light penetration and no salt build up to creat dead spots or shadows...you can also use an old trick from radio controlled cars and wrap the electrical side in a balloon..you just zip tie the openings around the area and now you are very water resistant...

Archived