Innovative Marine Aquariums

micro zoanthids - super tiny polyps

andrewkw

picked up a colony of these guys today, what's the deal with them? They are maybe 1/4th the size of regular smaller sized zoanthids. I've seen them before but not with the green mouth, they're very bright but very tiny. When closed it looks like just a rock, the polyps are that small.

IMG_6410-XL.jpg

jedimasterben

I think I have a polyp like that on the back of a rock I got at a swap today, it's ultra tiny, and doesn't appear to be a baby of a normal zoa. And here I thought 'rastas' and the like were tiny! :)

They aren't babies. there is maybe 100 polyps on the rock and there were maybe 12 or so rocks available today. This was probably the nicest one. They didn't all have the green mouths. Any google search just links to sites buying zoos that have micro names.

Nanofreak79
They aren't babies. there is maybe 100 polyps on the rock and there were maybe 12 or so rocks available today. This was probably the nicest one. They didn't all have the green mouths. Any google search just links to sites buying zoos that have micro names.

What's your question? There are many types of micros out there.

Are they a different species? Are they collected at a different depth? Any special requirements, ie not too much light. Really I'd just like more information about them.

Paandemonium

Try feeding it phyto, or anything really and see if they grow for you. I have a guy that lives near me that feeds phyto and the guy's polyps are the size of dimes and some nickels lol(I'm talking utter chaos polyps)

Nanofreak79
Are they a different species? Are they collected at a different depth? Any special requirements, ie not too much light. Really I'd just like more information about them.

They are not collected at any special deep area that I know of. They require same care as other zoanthids, basically poop and light. Micros are pretty sweet. The lighting varies with all species so you'll have to find a good spot. From my experience zoanthids can absorb a pretty good amount of light. It's debatable wether they actually feed or not. They deffinetly don't feed like palythoas, where they take in free floating food and mysis, etc. I still broadcast feed coral foods and my palythoas might get a bigger meal just by chance of feeding frozen to the fish. cool find!

Some types are definitly just micro, but my fruitloops from clay have shrank to less than half their original size but are still growing out. They are in moderate-high light and were slowly accustomed to flows that shot the flesh off of a birdsnest.

Archived