Pod Your Reef

Shark egg Success.. anyone?

Dave ESPI

I get my Fish availability list every 4 days or so from a few suppliers..... I see SHARKS EGG listed for $ 15 - 20.00 each....

Just curious if anyone has ever had sucess with these "shark eggs" Me, Id rather have a living breathing, swimming shark, but the miracle of birth is cool too..... Please Share !

i've got a wife and ex-wife that'll dispute the 'coolness' of crapping out a cantaloupe 20" long. :o

i've heard of only a couple success stories locally with those eggs. they make me queasy :x

Dave,

I have a very sub-par LFS that gets these coral banded cat shark eggs in regularly. Because of the crappiness of the store, the shark eggs never sell and they always end up with the shark living in a 20 gallon. The LFS doesn't really mind though. They can up the sticker $25 - 30 because it is hatched.

They haven't lost one yet. If you are really interested and have the room for one, or have a customer that does, I say go for it.

HTH,

Matt

I've had them many times. A few things to keep in mind for the best results. I've always hung them from the side of the tank gently with a lettuce clip. That keeps and hermits or anything from picking at it and disturbing it. Another plus is that you can see how the little guy is doing in there. I've found a stable temp is key too. I've had the best luck keeping the temp stable around 75 but anywhere up to 80 is fine as long as it is stable. Finally, the most important thing is to never let the egg out of water. The egg sack/shell can get air in it very easily and will/can kill the little guy. If you get air in it be very carefull bleeding it out of one end of the sack/shell. It can be done, is tricky, but is best just to try and prevent it from happening.

I've had around 12 of these hatch with 2 not making it. 1 had air in the sack/shell when I got him and the other dies when I had a temp shoot up to 84.

Oh yeah...finally I hear they are nitrate sensative so a level at or below 40 is best. My trates have always been around 20 and no problems.

Cameron

Yes, my LFS has had succes with them also. Like Phish1 said keep them away from hermits. Our LFS has them hanging in the middle of the tank, so you can see the little guy squirm around. Pretty cool. Not sure as to what type of shark thoug, I guess I never asked.

They are cat sharks. Some people call them Banded Cat Sharks and some call them Coral Banded Cat Sharks. Not really any difference but that what their common names are.

If you get one and it hatches watch out for your small crustaceans. They like to eat them. They are also nocturnal. You will also notice, when the hatch, a yolk sack attached to them. They will feed of this for 2-4 weeks before they start eating/taking "solid" foods.

Cameron

A majority of the eggs will hatch into the little shark I have in my avatar, a brownbanded bamboo shark(Chiloscyllium punctatum). LFS's usually call them banded cat sharks. Every once in a while they'll hatch into whitespotted bamboo sharks(Chiloscyllium plagiosum). It's better for beginner's to purchase newborn sharks since they are easier to get to eat although eggs arn't really hard to hatch. I've never hatched a shark myself, I bought both of mine when they were small. I am going to try to breed brownbanded bamboos when I get my custom made 300 gallon though.

Yeah thats what Ive been privy too so far......

The CB Sharks.... ARE cool, but like ue's said... AIR is the enemy as is temps... I was at my Trans-shippers and I SCREAMED at them for takin the eggs out of water... DUDES,,,, FWIW.... 1/2 of the ######ty fish are responsible because the Mo-Fos who dont know WTF they are doing... I saw THE OWNER OF A LFS carrly a FULLY INFLATED Kenya Tree Coral ar least 14 feet across the shop to his collection bucket.... U think Im evil here... This dude and I were LITERALLY 2 inches away from each-others faces ... And I had my middle finger in this dudes face so hard I thought it would be a slug fest..... he KNEW he was in the wrong, but had "penis envy" and backed down once I called him an Illiterate Inexperanced F*^^$Ke Head with a 10 K wallet of Retail Greed in his pocket....

I WISH I could punched this dude... Ive seen him 4 times there doing stupid ######. Im GLAD my buddy was there to calm me.

sheesh.. now Im even more ####ed..

PS: THANKS FOR THE INFO ! LOL now I can Inform my custoners of a Thread that will smack them around !:P

Originally posted by Fletch

what is there max size of these 'cat sharks' .  What is the smallest tank size for these guys?

Thx

They get around a meter in legnth. They hatch around 10"-12" long so they would need a minimum of 30"x12" (l by w) to keep them for a while but would need to be moved into something bigger after around 2-3 months.

When I kept them I usually had them for around 3 months after they hatched and then sold them. It was just nice to see them hatch rather than die at the LFS I saw them at.

Originally posted by Goofnut

Sheesh.. if you're anything like the LFSs around here, you can charge $45-75 for the darn things!

Damn! The store I worked for in CA charged 25 for the egg and 29-35 for the hatched shark depending on size.

Cameron

Originally posted by Goofnut

Sheesh.. if you're anything like the LFSs around here, you can charge $45-75 for the darn things!

Wow, I bought my brownbanded bamboo shark when it was 6" for $13 at a fish store in San Francisco :P

Physh1:

When they hatch they're about 6", it takes about a year for them to grow to 12" depending on how much you feed them.

Archived