SaltCritters.com

clownfish breathing heavily and not eating

yOyOYoo

So I got a pair of clowns three days ago and while both were find the first day I noticed that the larger one will not eat. It seems to be breathing very heavily and rapidly. The larger one just kinda mopes around in the corner brushing up against my 1inch baby frogspawn frag.

The smaller clown is the exact opposite, it will swim all around the tank actively and eat like a pig.

whats goin on here??! I haven't had fish in a very long time, over 1 year!

rapid breathing is often a sign of a toxin (usually ammonia) in the water, but it could be something else.

it could be just getting use to the tank. i would check the nitrates and nitirites too. temp also. you premixed any saltwater you used to right? (for at least 24 hours). it is normal behavior for it to hang out w/ the frog spawn and not swim around much, but the rapid breathing is not normal (depending on how rapid it is). The eating could be a dominance issue. Did you buy two that where paired up, or did they just randomly give you two clowns. If you got two random ones, it could be a dominance issue as they decide who wears the pants in their relationship. keep an eye on it. what are you feeding? brine shrimp?? also try mysid as a last resort. or maybe some type of algae supplement.

the two were purchased as a pair. They sleep together at night and there is no fighting.

tank parameters: 80 degrees, 1.025 salinity, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, tank has been set up for 11 months fishless this entire time. Still breathing rapidly and I purchased them on Monday.

I've fed the smaller of the two: brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, flakes, he eats anything and everything!

The larger one however barely swims around just breathes really really fast. No sores on body or anything else on the body. Gills look fine, just really fast panting/gasping. I added an airstone to the back of the tank to help oxygenate the water, but no change still.

I have a quarantine tank but not sure what to dose yet. I hear you can use formalin, but since he's already having trouble breathing won't the formalin make breathing worse?!?? Right now I just don't want to stress out the fish anymore.

Rapid respiration, loss of appetite, and scratching on rocks are signs of amyloodinium infection. Fish will succumb to this parasite unless copper treatment is administered in a hospital tank quickly. The gill damage is already done before you see the tiny white spots. Good luck!

no scratching of the body at all. doesn't appear to be ich or amyloodium.

Its the 5th day the clown has been like this. Im going to give him the formalin dip tonight.

Have you tried soaking the food in garlic. I had a fish that wasn't eating at first. I soaked my flakes in Kents Garlic Extreme and he started eating like a pig.

Just a thought.

B)

• 2 weeks later...
ghostbear29

yeah, rapid breathing and loss of appetite are signs of stress...according to the "book". I would go with the simplest sign of treatment first since it is very hard to get an infection or infestation this early.. is your LFS a reliable source? Also if matters get worse, take'em back. get a better perc. good luck!

Archived