Cultivated Reef

DIY hot wire plastic bender

bdevillier19

bdevillier19

i came across a relatively cheap and effective way to build a plastic bender and thought many of the DIYers here might find it useful. i have used it to make float switch mounts for my ATO's and soon to be frag racks. instead of using the battery like shown in the tutorial, i used a power supply from an old pc that i modified into a desktop power supply like shown here -

http://www.instructables.com/howto/desktop+power+supply/

i also added another piece of wood and another aluminum guide to the other side of the hot wire so that the material is supported on both sides. i will post pictures tomorrow after i dig through the garage and find the box it's packed in but the link has plenty of pics. hope somebody finds it useful.

http://www.wa4dsy.com/robot/hot-wire-plastic-bender

things i plan to change are -

make it wider because its curently around 10" or so.

find an actual power supply because it will look cleaner.

bdevillier19

I used the heat gun method before but this gives you a bit more precision and keeps things square a little better as well.

bdevillier19

I haven't had any problems with it bubbling yet, although I haven't used it for any extended amounts of time.

bdevillier19

Well I already had a power supply that I had made so my cost was $15 for the wire, about $25 for wood and other materials. If you buy a 12v 7 amp power supply they run 15-20 on eBay.

Very awesome, I've been looking into these for a while now. Still a bit shaky on making anything on my own with acrylic, but I hope to start working with it soon!

bdevillier19

i was nervous turning it on for the first time. lol. i was anticipating the white smoke but everything worked out good. i made a 90* form out of a couple pieces of wood so when the plastic was warm enough i place it into the form until it cools and get nice square 90* bends

Archived