Pod Your Reef

125 Gal Tank setup for Sump Refugium (Ideas?)

Jaculus

I have had a BC29 AIO tank for a while now. The plan was to stay with that for a year or two. Then my wife had someone at her job ask if we wanted their fully stocked 75 gal Reef tank/stand with all the extras (skimmer, RO etc) for $250. Anyone in their right mind would go for that. This tank had a healthy population of over 45 heads of Frogspawn and plenty other exotic corals. It was a healthy mature tank that had been neglected for a year or so with only minimal maintenance. I am also trading my BC29 for a 46 Bow front from someone at her work also and I am setting that up as a FOWLR tank for my wife to have some non-reef safe fish.

The 75 gal reef tank seen here after just being set up and moved to my place had a small 15 gal or so sump with a huge SWC 260 skimmer. The other 46 gal bowfront we are trading for only has HOB AquaClear large filters. I am going to be drilling that and adding an internal overflow.

These are set up on opposite sides of the room they are in so trying to run sump/refu under one of the tanks to feed both would be impossible. However I have a HUGE basement with plenty of room right below and centered on these tanks. I did some research on setting up a sump/refu in the basement and the pump/plumbing needs I would have.

I started by purchasing a Pan World Model NH-100PX-X on Ebay. I also began watching for a used tank large enough to supply BOTH tanks upstairs. My gutt said a 55 gal or maybe even a 75 gal would do. I could not find anything for the right price. THEN I found a 125 gal tank on CL for $200. It had been in storage for a few years and the owner could not guarantee it was water tight. After a week or so of not selling it I convinced them to sell it for $75 and I would clean it and repair it if needed. I did not need to repair it, It is in near perfect but dusty condition.

So now I have a HUGE tank for my refugium. I am going to build up a simple stand for it on cement blocks and 2x4's with an extension out the side large enough to mount the external return pump on it. I will have to drill the side of the tank for the bulkhead for the return pump exit.

I will be posting my plumbing plan later but for now I am looking for advice from anyone that might have set up this large of a sump/refu.

First I wanted a slightly larger first section for the Sump/Skimmer to allow for possible growth of the size of the skimmer. I am pretty sure this SWC 260 Cone should do the job but while I am building this I might as well have enough room for growth. I also do plan to use a CPR Sock it like this http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1634/ I may not stick with the sock but this will provide a stable place to attach the two outlet return pipes/tubes to even if I do not stay with the Sock attached. This section for now will be a little high so I will obviously need to stack the Skimmer up so I get optimal water level for that. This will be 16" deep by 14" wide by 18" long that figures to about 17 gallons.

I am planning to go with a wider gap for the air bubble trap baffles. I have plenty of space so I am thinking a 2" gap. That does two things. it give me more room to reach in to apply the sealant and it allows easier cleaning for me. I can't think of any reason this would not be a good idea.

The refugium section I plan to split from left to right with approx 6" by 44" in the front for frags and possibly unhealthy fish etc. The remaining larger section in the back would be more typical refugium with mud, tons of macro algae, possibly mangrove area etc but definetly have a HUGE pod population to feed my Mandarin Gobies. The total space for all the refugium would be 14" deep by 44" wide by 18" long. That would be a 47 gallon refugium for approx 120 gal of tanks upstairs (75 +46) That is well above the normal but why not?

I went with the same 2" gap baffles before the Return Reservoir section also. Again, I can think of no reason why not. I plan to set a float level for the ATO at about 10" high.

That leaves PLENTY of capacity for when the main return pump is turned off and I get some back flow from the approx 14' of piping from the tanks so it won't overflow.

PLEASE feel free to give ideas and even thoughts where I might be wrong on this. I can take criticism. Just keep in mind I already have the 125 gal tank and there is no way it will fit upstairs as a DT and then bring the 75 gal to the basement as the sump/refu. I already thought of that it just won't work.

post-82093-0-42155100-1395873812_thumb.jpg

post-82093-0-78244600-1395873961_thumb.jpg

post-82093-0-61611700-1395873967_thumb.jpg

Archived