Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

lighting suggestions for aga minibow 5

bobbittle

I had/have 2 coralife 50/50 10w screw in bulbs in the stock hood right now. One of them broke so I'm looking into different lighting for it. I'm sure the lighting wasn't too efficient as there is no reflector on there. Any suggestions? Coralife mini-aqualight (2x9w)? Won't be anything high light in there, here's current contents:

Zoo's

Shroom's

Finger

Xenia

Star Polyps

X-mas Tree

Bobbittle,

You could just replace the 10w coralife 50/50, and maybe even invest into a reflector. Since you have two, that gives you 20w total, and therefore 4w per gallon which is a good amount for low light corals. If you bought the 2 x 9 w set up, you would be loosing 2 watts. I wouldn't do that.

If you really want to replace it, maybe look into getting a 32 w Custom Sea Life smartlite retrofit kit. That would give a little over 6 w per gallon which would be plenty of light!!

For the price, (about $10), I would just replace the 10 w.

I have just 1 10w coralife 50/50 on my 2.5 and it seems to be working great. (it has a reflector, but you could easily add that for cheap!)

lgreen

i picked up a really interesting light at an lfs back in january. it's a 36w (18w 10k, 18w actinic) with 2 cooling fans and 2 switches (one to control each bulb). it's a nearly perfect fit over my new minibow 5. about 14 inches. it was too expensive when i bought it, but i didn't know any better at the time, and if i'm not mistaken, it's made by jbj.

it might be worth looking around for.

~b

I'll be useing two 19w 65k curly q selfballest bulbs from home depot with two 13w actinic pc lights. Fits perfect under a custum 5g hood.

Archived