ReefCleaners.org

Need Help, Incorrect Adhesive used when Aquascaping

JavaJacketOC

JavaJacketOC

Hi All,

I haven't had a tank for a while but I still lurk the forums occasionally. My friend recently decided to set up a new tank and while we were discussing his scape, I suggested he pick up some Loctite Super Glue Gel to help create the look he wanted and provide some additional stability. Well, he picked up the wrong adhesive and tried using Loctite Clear Power Grab instead of Loctite Super Glue Gel

Of course a fair amount of it got into his water column so we're trying to determine next steps to correct the situation. His tank just finished cycling which is what prompted him to rearrange the scape in preparation for inhabitants. His LFS told him to run Activated Carbon but wanted to see if anyone has had a similar experience and what worked best.

I'm really not sure how Loctite Clear Power Grab will affect the tank in general but I would imagine a series of water changes in addition to the activated carbon would be in order. Additional thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

I can't find an ingredients list, but from what I'm reading it's damn similar to regular Loctite. I'm not sure your buddy shot himself in the foot here, but to be safe activated carbon and WC's out the nose will solve damn near any problem.

• Like 1

That is actually a material safety data sheet. It's a list of information on how to deal with events concerning a chemical from spills to combustion to possible chemical reactions to exposure.

I just pulled the Technical Data sheets and will look into it.

JavaJacketOC

I can't find an ingredients list, but from what I'm reading it's damn similar to regular Loctite. I'm not sure your buddy shot himself in the foot here, but to be safe activated carbon and WC's out the nose will solve damn near any problem.

Yeah, I assumed it wouldn't be too far off but honestly not familiar with this product so I really don't know.

Ok I got the tech specs from loctite. They do not recommend constant submersion of the product but it is still listed as water resistant in the technicals.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/pg_ca_all_p_tube_clr_3oz/overview/Loctite-Power-Grab-All-Purpose-Clear-Construction-Adhesive-Squeeze-Tube.htm

Would you agree that the best option would just be to run carbon and do some large water changes?

I'm not familiar with this product so really just looking for a solution to pass on to my friend.

The suggestion of not submerging for long periods of time is probably more to do with the product breaking down over time than anything else.

Carbon and water changes might be enough.

The most extreme measure to be taken would be to chisel off the rock with loctite on it (after drying live rock doesn't chisel so well when wet) and dip the rest in muriatic acid for about 5-10 seconds. This method is extremely dangerous and not recommended if you are not familiar with the use of and care of such a chemical. This method will restart the cycle though and is most likely unnecessary.

Tell him to add inconsequential to replace and hardy things first to see if they survive. if there's an epidemic of them dieing there's a problem. if not then smooth sailing ahead.

• Like 1
JavaJacketOC

Tell him to add inconsequential to replace and hardy things first to see if they survive. if there's an epidemic of them dieing there's a problem. if not then smooth sailing ahead.

Yeah, there's nothing in the tank at the moment. He's planning to add a CUC later this week.

frankdontsurf

probably better off dropping a blue chromis in there, instead of a whole crew of snails (which are actually pretty sensitive animals)

It's a water soluble synthetic latex adhesive.

If the rock was taken out of the tank, glued and then put straight back in the glue will have dissolved into the water column.

Carbon and two or three big water changes should deal with it.

• 7 years later...
4 hours ago, AnthonyJedruczek said:

I did the same mistake where i used the power grab loctite so how long should i wait before each water change.

Was it FULLY cured before you added water?

I would do 100% water change and run carbon if possible. If not, I would do large water changes daily for a few days. 

I believe the only way to remove it would be mechanically chiseling it off. It may break down over time and your structure may colapse.

Starting over and removing it from the rock is probably the best long term solution. 

I could not find the ingredients of it. It does have a cancer warning.