Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Appropriate fish for 5 gal.

Superdave

For my very first posted thread on n-reef.com I am seeking out opinions or suggestions for a good fish for a 5 gallon nano. All that is present at this point is some hermit crabs (6), one snail, and two feather dusters.

Tank setup:

5 gallon glass (cheap-o from LFS)

Eheim pump/powerhead (cycles about 80 gal/hour)

Bio-Wheel 115 (?) minus the bio-wheel, filter pad still present

small heater

13w x 2 50/50 PC from AH Supply

2 lbs LS, seeded into about 2 lbs regular

3 lbs LR

Thanks MadHatter...

What type of Goby? I have been told that a damsel might be troublesome and I can attest to them using their tailfins to move significant sand around in the tank. I might be wrong, but I was under the impression the sand bed should not be disturbed that much.

Clown fish like to bat the sand. A clown goby would be perfect, i believe it is able to go into corals and hop from rock to rock. ive seen one perched on a brain coral.

Thanks for your opinion Kool. I am going to make some order requests from a LFS (a good one in my opinion) the next week or so.

Thanks jmt, I appreciate your input. I mad a poor false percula selection a few weeks ago and now I in the market again! I want to do something different instead of a percula (no offense to those nano owners who have percs, I think they are a great fish). With each new tank/setup I do, I like to expand my repretoire, if you will, of livestock.

organicman

i have a five gallon with one yellowtailed blue damsel. he really seems to like it. at first (a few days ago) he was hiding out alot (he still is quite a bit) but when i feed him, he comes right out. really pretty guy and quite a bit more polite with sand bed and aggressiveness toward me. im not sure about towards other fish b/c hes my one and only right now.

either way, not abad choice IMO.

In my experience, yellow tailed blue damsels HATE anything other fish in the system. I've personally seen them attack over and over until it killed whatever fish was newest....They're great alone, very pretty, but I doubt I'll ever choose one again...I'd go for a 3-stripe damsel (humbug). I know ours tries to act tough, but any fish bigger than him (and usually the smaller ones too) usually end up higher on the totem pole.

Archived