Innovative Marine Aquariums

More wattage for a hex?

myfisharemean

myfisharemean

Ok, I'm looking for a good light for my 10 gallon hex. The top is about 12", and I'm working w/ 30 bucks a week. Usually 5 watts a gallon is good i hear, but my tank is pretty deep, and i want to have corals, anemones, etc. (eventually). What would best fit my situation? I have looked at MH, nice, but PC looks better for my purpose, to me. Does anyone know where i could get a 12" PC fixture, I looked at the new lights one person posted about, but no one's seen the 12" out yet. Should I just wait until they come out, lots of questions, not enough answers, I ask toooo man q's. lol thanks a lot Matt:)

Hey,

here are some other ones that might work for ya.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...Q&N=2004+113345

look at that 12 " double 18w. sent them an email and see if the "double means it is 2 x 18. (i would assume so, but could be wrong) if so...its only $37.

also, if you go to the jbj lighting web site, the have 18 watt retrofit kits, but jbj will be a little bit more exspensive probably.

lgreen

the more light the better! just wait for those 12"er's. do u just want softies? some times those hexs are tricky to light! :)

this may sound rediculous, but you might consider buying 2 of those 12 in ones. Buy the double 2x 18w and then one single 18w. That would give you 54 w or 5.4 watts per gallon which would be awesome for coral and good for an anemone!! (plus then you would get 2 moon lights)

Hopefully since the 20 inch single is only like $47, the 12" will only be like around $30. The double may be around $60, but buy the time they come out, maybe you will have saved up enough money.

i would try to get like around 5 w per gallon now, because you kick your self later. I did!! I bought just the fluorescnet hood first ($30 waste), then went to a 32 w (ok, but again $50 waste) and now i am waiting for the 20" satallite to come ($129)

so now ive spent $200 lighting a 12 gallon tank. But at least now i will have almost 7 w per gallon. (plus a freeking cool moon light!)

You might want to check out the Coralife self ballasted "mini" 50/50 PC bulbs (screw in type). They come in 10 and 20 watt sizes, and are about $10 a piece. I bet you could fit 3 or 4 of them above that tank. So for $30, you can have 60 watts of PC lighting. Of course you will have to buy sockets and some lamp cord (only a few $s). This is what I am using for my 5.5g and it looks nice... haven't added any coral yet. But I think you can probably fit more light over your tank using these, unless you want to go MH (which of course is better).

myfisharemean

Igreen's a genius, and revance's idea is sweet too! would i need to solder it, i lost my iron in my last move :(? ANd what about getting 2 of the doubles igreen? I'llbe able t get back on late tomorrow (can only use at night for a bit) thanks a lot! -Matt

I think haveing a double and single, or two doubles would work fine either way. It's just kind of up to you and how much you want to spend. Both are a good choice. I think the 5.4 per gal is plenty for what you want to do, but there is nothing wrong with 7.2 per gal if that what you want to do.

7.2 w per gal would be good if you want to get into some of the LSP hard corals like brains, frogspawns, and hammers, or clams...

revance's idea is good too. the only prob is that you have to have something to put those lights in, like some type of canopy. If your handy thats great, and doing that wiring stuff, but personally I like things to look neat so I would rather buy something manufactured.

Both ideas are good, just do what ever fits the budget.

myfisharemean

Ya, I'm into looks too, 2 doubles would be sweet, but if Im gonna do that, how about a cheap MH? What would you pick?

*Cheap MH fixture and ballast, then add an XM

or (dum dum dum dum)

*2 doubl PC fixtures

P.S. You guys are cool, I was getting flamed by this other dude, b/c I have 3.5# of LR, and I want to let it cycle, while someone at home tops it off, and was wondering if i should leave the lights on or off for 3 weeks, because i can't spend any of mycash until i get back for a timer or what-not, and i only want to ask a minimum if my parents. It's by a shaded window, and gets some light, and he, i dunno, not someone i want to encounter again, lol.

Hey! I read from one of your other threads that your only 14? That's so cool!! I am 19 now, but started my first salt water tank when i was like 16. It's cool to see another teenager with a sw tank! (rare!) i've been working at a fish store for over a year,but had been doing sw for about a year before. It can get exspensive!! I have spent like $700.00 on my 12g tank!!

Lighting in general is a confusing topic at first. When i first started i was so confused. I really have only finally understood lighting for about 2 or 3 months. It takes a while!! I promise though that you will be very happy, and have really good results if you stick with the power compact. I've done the standard fluorescents, and power compacts, and power compacts are the best in my opinion. (or things just like pc's like t-5s, but dont worry about t-5, they are very confusing and i dont understand those). MH are something that i would aviod at all costs unless you have a big tank that needs a lot of light. MH are cool on a big tank, but just a waste for a 10g.

as far as the live rock, i really recommend leaving the light on while cycling. (on during the day, and off at night) I dont know who it is that tells people to turn it off, but they are full of crap. if you did leave the light off, it should be ok though. (I'm not yelling at yah, just telling you the truth so you know for the future) :)

if you dont want to wait for those satallite/orbits check out the JBJ lighting website and look at there stuff, they might also have something that would work for you.

maybe 3.5 # is a little low as far a rock, but they have to understand that rock is exspensive! one rock sometimes costs $30.00 alone! When you buy coral, just buy some corals that are on cool rocks, and as you collect stuff over time, you'll have more rock than you know what to do with!! ( I had to thin my tank out by about 10#s the other day!!)

http://www.jbjlighting.com

dont worry about the jerks/know it alls, there a few of them on every site, there too good to help anyone, but they cry like a baby when they need help. Its actually fun to fight with them though, because it gets them all wild and mad. Its funny.

Archived