Innovative Marine Aquariums

Is there clean up crew for little bugs?

cirionrc

I was wondering if there is such a fish that eats a bunch of little bugs pondering in my tank. They started in the refugium and now have spread to the main tank. They are getting pretty big now. I just don't want them to overtake my tank because there is a lot of them. Plus I bought some live rock for my refugium today and some more algae. There is still a lot of brown diatom hair algae in the refugium and it is all floating to the top and making a huge mess. What would be ideal to put in the refugium to eat the hair algae but leave the macro algae alone. hermit? brittlestar, sand sifter, goby?

you can try some blue-legged hermits (hair) and astrae snails (diatoms) in the refugium.

i wouldn't worry too much on the bugs as the fish should control their population as they become a food source unless they're isopods (that's for another thread). your refugium is actually functioning textbook fashion and now producing plankton for the rest of your system. :)

Really you want the bugs in there they help keep the sandbed healthy, provide a nutritional live food source for your fish, and help in keeping your tank detritus free.

As for the Isopods only a select few of the hundreds of species are bad and of those only Ciriloid (sp?) Isopods are really,really bad. (magine a 5lb. mosquito sucking off you)

I would be happy to have your pod population, my baby bangaiis assure that my tank is pod free, unfortunately.

By the way, the word refugeum means (in our situations) A place of refuge for those little bugs (really they are small crustaceans/animals) you are trying to grow them, and doing a good job it seems :)

Good luck,

Toy

What would be ideal to put in the refugium to eat the hair algae but leave the macro algae alone.

Got snails?

Seriously, I'd put a turbo in there. I had some hair algae in my show nano, the crabs got some of it, but it didn't go away until the turbo had been in there a few days. Now I have hair algae in the 'fuge tank, and the astraea snails that came with the caulerpa aren't doing squat to control it. And every time I go to the LFS that has turbos for a decent price, they're out of turbos. :

try a mandarian goby to control the pods in your tank but be carefull if they eat all the bugs they will starve because thats all they will eat. with a refugium i would not worry about it

Archived