ReefCleaners.org

gsp losing color

hidden impact

hidden impact

i've had a mat of gsp for about 5 months that originally had nice green color. it appears healthy and is growing pretty rapidly. the new polyps that emerge are the same green, but the older polyps in the center are losing their color.

i'm using 2x40w pc, for 10hr cycles. the bulbs are about 6 months old.

everything in the tank is healthy.

is the color loss normal in gsp?

Cellenzweig

Mine have never lost any color (although the centres have never been as bright and the tips). That sounds strange to me. Do you ever clean the GSP with a turkey baster? Mine seems a lot happier when I give it a good blast of water every week or so.

hidden impact

no i've never blasted them. i suppose i'll try it. i hear that they may need more flow and more intense light to get the green back, but it doesn't make sense why the new polyps have the green and older ones lose it.

If detritus collects on the mat, the polyps won't come out at all or will only partially emerge. Do what Cellenzweig said and give them a good cleaning with a baster and see if that helps. Also, sometimes GSP won't come out for days when they get mad at you :)

hidden impact

the problem is not about them coming out. they come and go like normal.

the problem is their coloration when they are extended. there is no detritous on the purple base.

whats the water flow thats on them, make sure its enough to keep debre off of them but not blasting the polyps.

maybe also try freeding them some liquid plankton, give em more nutrients = better color + better growth & extension.

Archived