SaltCritters.com

Percula clown in a ten???

pre-salty

COuld a percula clown work in a ten gallon. Believe me I don't care if you discourage me, that is why I am here to learn.

-Joel

I second what has been said above, a small percula wouldn't be a mistake...perhaps if they get somewhat larger they should be moved but in a tank that small, they will not grow as quickly (however, I'm sure there are exceptions)

harleywilson

No anenome. Clowns do not need it and anenomes are very tough to keep. Get tank bred perc, it will never need an anenome.

if you are planning on trying to breed them, go without the anemone, it will only complicate things later on. also, when breeding clowns, water quality is the most importat factor, not tank size. keep up the water quality and i'm sure you will have no trouble getting eggs.

What about alternate hosts? I thought I saw someplace that false percs might host in a mushroom or a xenia, but now I can't find the thread(s).

Thanks!

hammer and torch are anemone alternates, however, they need to be large enough to handle a clown digging around in them. if the colony is too small, they will be damaged by the clown. xenia would probably work too. clowns host in some pretty strange stuff, it all depends on its personality. my maroon clown even tried to host in my green star polyps for a while.

Nemo_4_Ever

Really so my 8.7G tank would be pretty much fine to put a clown in. Already got live rock, sand, water, filter, powerhead and some sort of worm in my LR lol. HELP ME IDENTIFY IT PLS, its like a centipede and its probably like 30 cm long!!! if not more!

Wow, you got a starfish hitchhiker?!?! Sweet! Lucky you!

I have a ten gallon and am planning on having one or two clowns. So far I haven't seen anything that would lead me to believe they wouldn't do fine. I'm with a couple of the others here though, I'd stay away from anemones - they're tough to keep.

Archived