Cultivated Reef

Canon T3i for beginner

LarryMoeCurly

LarryMoeCurly

I have no experience with photography other than the $20 P&S that I have been using to take pictures of my tank on occasion. I have been reading up on the basics of photography over the past few weeks. I rarely take pictures (because I do not do very many interesting things worthy of pictures nor do I have a functioning camera on my iphone since the lense is scratched). I am considering getting into photography with the hopes of getting some great pictures of my tank of course, but also with the hopes that it will sort of force me to do more things to take more pictures of, if that makes any sense. In other words, the only way I can justify buying a DSLR is if I actually use it on a regular basis.

It seems that the Canon T3i is a very popular model that has excellent reviews, so that is what I am strongly leaning toward. My questions at this point is with regard to the purchase of the body and a beginner lens.

There are a few options that I see:

1. T3i kit from Amazon $498

2. refurbished T3i kit from Canon $408

3. refurbished T3i body from Canon ($340) and a 50mm lens from Amazon ($99) $439

4. watch craigslist for used cameras and other sites for sales

Which one would you recommend and/or are there other options that I have overlooked?

I have read that the kit lens is good enough for everyday use, but the 50mm is better quality and produces better results. My plan would be to familiarize myself with the camera and with photography in general and then maybe step up to a macro and perhaps other lenses when the time comes. It seems that even if I bought the kit, it would be advantageous to buy the 50mm also.

I have done a lot of googling and searching over the past few weeks (including the relevent threads on here), but I thought I would ask the community. I'm not sure why I gravitate toward such expensive hobbies, but in this case they seem to go hand-in-hand. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated.

I was in your boat a few weeks ago. Ended up getting a 40d body for 275. Better all around camera, also feels better in the hand slightly heavier and larger too. Check it out you might like it.

LarryMoeCurly

Thanks for the recommendation; they are going for less than $250 used through Amazon, so that looks like a good deal if it is comparable to the T3i. However, after some quick research it appears that it is a little outdated and is lacking some of the major features of the T3i, perhaps I will look more into it when I get time.

buy used camera equipment from keh, adorama, or b&h. Keh has by far the best rating system and I have never bought anything rated ex+ from them that I could tell wasn't new. Also, nikon. Because nikons.

Refurbished from Canon will be like 100% brand new. You'll never be able to tell a difference. If you buy used make sure you get the number of actuations on the body to tell whether it's basically brand new or if someone has been using it for years and years.

Definitely opt for the 50 over the kit lens. The nifty fifty will spoil the shit out of you. It is just as sharp as my macro lens, and that's really saying something. The bokeh leaves some to be desired, but for $100 there is no better deal on this earth for a lens.

I used a 40D for a long time but I suspect the T3i has better ISO performance. Neither will have good enough ISO performance to make a difference for photographing your aquarium though. You'll be using a tripod for pretty much any shot so it's more or less irrelevant. The T3i might edge out for photographing fish since using a higher ISO will let you get faster shutter speeds.

LarryMoeCurly

i made a mistake i got a 50d not the 40d. i have not used it yet as i dont have a lens for it.

That seems more comparable to the T3i, and it's available used for about $400. It looks like the T3i has slightly better image quality, better ISO, and some more modern features. The 50d appears to be a step above the T3i in some regards as far as photography folks are concerned from what I garnered from some quick googling; perhaps an entry level model like the T3i would be more suited to my wants. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks again for the recommendation.

Based on WIther's comment, it appears that refrurbished body + 50mm lens is the way to go.

There are some package deals on Ebay, but I would rather buy the stuff separately as I need it (and not spend >$700 at one time).

I welcome any other opinions/recommendations/advice.

That seems more comparable to the T3i, and it's available used for about $400. It looks like the T3i has slightly better image quality, better ISO, and some more modern features. The 50d appears to be a step above the T3i in some regards as far as photography folks are concerned from what I garnered from some quick googling; perhaps an entry level model like the T3i would be more suited to my wants. I'll keep it in mind though, thanks again for the recommendation.

Based on WIther's comment, it appears that refrurbished body + 50mm lens is the way to go.

There are some package deals on Ebay, but I would rather buy the stuff separately as I need it (and not spend >$700 at one time).

I welcome any other opinions/recommendations/advice.

The 50 is leaps and bounds more fun to use than the stock zoom on any dslr. I have ordered multiple lenses and bodies from keh recently and not so recently and have always been impressed aswell... Get a shutter count and avoid anything over like 75k imo. I am sure ebay can land some good deals as well but reputable dealers tend to have better policy when it comes to not being pleased with a used item you received. Also most package deals for camera stuff is a buncha crap you will never want or use. Filters and such for one thing. Body, lens, strap if it doesnt come with one, memory card and a bag. You won't need anything else to get started. Where you go from there is limitless.

I also suggest going to a big box store and handling some dslrs. Some handle way better than others.

Also, register here and browse their classifieds

www.photography-on-the.net

It's a Canon based photography forum, I buy all my gear from there if I can.

Here's an example of a good listing (this one already sold though)

$320 for a T3i. Under 6k shutter actuations, really good pictures showing condition

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1364871&highlight=t3i

Gripped 50D - $400 - 17k actuations

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1365800&highlight=50d

50D and Nifty fifty combo for less than $450

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1365532&highlight=50d

Here's an example of a good listing (this one already sold though)

$320 for a T3i. Under 6k shutter actuations, really good pictures showing condition

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1364871&highlight=t3i

Gripped 50D - $400 - 17k actuations

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1365800&highlight=50d

50D and Nifty fifty combo for less than $450

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1365532&highlight=50d

My only worry with ebay is the fact you can get a camera with a hot pixel or something goofy like that. I'd be pretty annoyed going through every photo I took and removing it. I am sure there are plenty of good sellers that would disclose this or accept returns though. I can say I have never had a bad ebay purchasing experience in the last 2 years.

LarryMoeCurly

I am hesitant to buy used from an individual seller or from Ebay for the reasons stated above, but I'll make an account on that forum when I get time and see what they have.

keh does not seem to have a very big selection of bodies. They don't have a T3i at the moment from what I saw, but I'll keep looking. (I'm assuming they get new inventory all the time.)

I will be home this weekend, so hopefully I'll be able to get my hands on some cameras at a store.

I haven't had a chance to really research the 50d vs the T3i, so that's on my to-do list also.

Either will provide about the same experience. The 50D will be larger so if you have normal sized man hands it will feel like it fits you much better. You can get a decent idea by holding the 60D at the store vs. the T4i (I think that's what they're up to now?). Build quality and materials will be better on the 50D too, but as far as image quality it'll likely be a wash, or close to it.

I definitely get not wanting to buy from an individual for a camera body. I typically buy all my lenses used from that site though, for future reference. Never had a bad experience.

I would never buy camera gear on eBay. At least on POTN it's an enthusiast site, there are virtually no scammers there.

Man hands size cameras are a necessity unless for some reason the camera supposedly has super size defying ergonomics ( looking at the fujifilm x-t1... ) For a company with such terrible marketing in the US the cult following this series has is making me want to try one.

Archived