Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Aqueon Evolve 2 Soft Corals: First attempt at SW

mechishark7

It's also a good idea to iodine dip your corals after fragging. Make sure you wash your hands afterwards. I've never had issues, however some people I know have gotten very sick fragging. I wouldn't worry too much about it, just exercise caution such as not letting slime squirt you in the eyes, open cuts, and as before mentioned, wash your hands.

As for as dipping corals during acclimation, this is more important than you think. There are so many pests that hitchhike along I wouldn't put anything in my tanks without a dip.

Regarding testing, if this is your only tank I wouldn't bother buying a testing kit for the basics (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph) as you couldn't just wait it out (the cycle), or most LFS will do it for free. Your ammonia should be 0.0, but if your using an API test kit very often the color appears to be 0.25, when it is really 0.0. Best to compare it against a control, but if your using the API test kit I wouldn't worry about that reading. Anything greater would be a major concern.

I'm not sure I understand your reef tests. Your salinity is good, while many rarely check salinity because we run auto top offs, having a small nano your salinity may change greatly with evaporation. Just get a rhythm down where you replace evaporated water with distilled to top it off and you will be good to go. It may be easy to mark your water level on the tank so you can always maintain it properly. And no $9 20oz bottles of water either. ;) I like to spend money on tech things but I'm can be very frugal too. Your Alk should be ~8dkh. Calcium should be 420ppm. How does this compare with the numbers you posted? Personally, I prefer Salifert kits for Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium. Phosphates are difficult to test, because you need a low range test kit. The easiest and most reliable I've found is a Hanna checker, but that may be out of your budget. Your goal would be to have phosphates at 0.03. If your not having any algae issues, it's not worth testing for.

I'm just trying to help you be successful so take my posts for what they are worth.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mechishark7

I'm not sure I understand your reef tests. Your salinity is good, while many rarely check salinity because we run auto top offs, having a small nano your salinity may change greatly with evaporation. Just get a rhythm down where you replace evaporated water with distilled to top it off and you will be good to go. It may be easy to mark your water level on the tank so you can always maintain it properly. And no $9 20oz bottles of water either. ;) I like to spend money on tech things but I'm can be very frugal too. Your Alk should be ~8dkh. Calcium should be 420ppm. How does this compare with the numbers you posted? Personally, I prefer Salifert kits for Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium. Phosphates are difficult to test, because you need a low range test kit. The easiest and most reliable I've found is a Hanna checker, but that may be out of your budget. Your goal would be to have phosphates at 0.03. If your not having any algae issues, it's not worth testing for.

I check the temp and salinity each morning and record them into my Aquatic Log phone app. I also recorded the measurements I got from the LFS today and will continue when I bring my water to be tested.

About the tests, the first fish store I went too tested my water and gave me a results sheet thats filled out by hand, so I don't know exactly how they tested it. Here's what they gave me though

595686C7-51A2-45F0-B35F-F4A1A5047A5C_zps

I'm assuming the Calcium is between 24-480ppm and the Alkalinity is between 140-200ppm (I think they wrote 110 to the left of this)

Looks like 11 dkh Alk and 480 ppm Ca if I had to guess. Sounds consistent with freshly mixed saltwater - depending on the salt you are using. As your corals start to grow you will have trouble maintaining those, thus the need for dosing.

Looks like 11 dkh Alk and 480 ppm Ca if I had to guess. Sounds consistent with freshly mixed saltwater - depending on the salt you are using. As your corals start to grow you will have trouble maintaining those, thus the need for dosing.

I don't think he'll have to much trouble with calcium since he's doing softies.

Weekly 1 gallon water changes i think would be better than dosing unless lps and sps get involved.

mechishark7

I plan on just softies, maybe a waving hand but mostly a zoa garden with a shrimp or a small fish (red scooter blenny?) at the most. Also my green spotted pufferfish I had in my new Spec II died today so I might convert that to a reef tank or a frag tank exclusively with my new frag wall I made today. I will post pics of the laser cut pieces I made today when I install them tomorrow.

For such a small tank, I don't see a point in LPS or SPS, softies catch my eye, not the others.

Well My Evolve 8 will have a scolly centerpiece but mostly it will be Softies. Plates make nice centerpieces as well. It all depends on how you want to go about it.

I like the LPS simply because I like to watch them eat.

mechishark7

So heres the frag wall I made, its just acrylic sheet I cut on a laser cutter

3F282458-A7F9-491B-842A-F8FCF0B177A8_zps

The plan was to glue frags to these single and double acrylic frag plates and slide them into the slots on the wall

FD7B270B-9F9B-4F85-BE1A-009BACA25F75_zps

However I forgot to take into account the vibrations from the powerhead and the small plates slowly work their way out of the slots. The double plates hold, so I might redesign the smaller ones to work.

I still have to cut a new lid for the tank as well. It will cover both the display and the filter compartment as one piece, currently there are lids for each and it will fit tight around all edges of the tank without a feeding hole or vents to help minimize evap

A scooter blenny is a dragonette which eats pods, and has difficulty taking prepared foods.

agreed. I kept one that liked frozen foods bit his tank was still plenty large for foraging
mechishark7

Also the diatoms are in full bloom, my PAR38 should arrive Tuesday and my CUC is shipping out tomorrow.

mechishark7

So I fragged my zoas last night, dipped them in iodine afterwards, and put them up on my frag wall.

721AE093-9A69-4B71-AEEB-5E98E26D190D_zps

I am surprised so many of them are already opening up; I was afraid I had hacked many of them beyond healing with my first time fragging skills.

mechishark7

Holy carp those look ver nicely fragged.

Thanks, I'm glad my frag wall rack is working, the acrylic is so clear and makes the frags look like they're floating :P

Normally I frag when corals outgrow the tank. What does fragging this small colony do for you?

Unfortunately algae (including good coraline algae) eventually will make that clear rack less clear.

mechishark7

Normally I frag when corals outgrow the tank. What does fragging this small colony do for you?

First, to get them off that frag plug.

Second, they were all mixed in with each other and I wanted to separate them so I could form colonies by type.

First, to get them off that frag plug.

Second, they were all mixed in with each other and I wanted to separate them so I could form colonies by type.

Yeah I agree, I never put plugs in my tanks. I do however like zoas that are mixed in the colony. It adds a nice little variety.

mechishark7

DSC_0275_zps2c274e8c.jpg

DSC_0277_zps2e4e59f6.jpg

My faves right here V V V V V V V V V

DSC_0278_zpsc20e3bd4.jpg

DSC_0280_zpsf678ccb7.jpg

DSC_0282_zps4faa99e7.jpg

DSC_0287_zps64e07e45.jpg

DSC_0291_zpsccecefd6.jpg

DSC_0292_zpsee6bb44b.jpg

DSC_0295_zpsab9166f6.jpg

DSC_0304_zps37c677e4.jpg

DSC_0308_zpsee3cf843.jpg

Any ID on these? V V V

DSC_0319_zpse07aafc0.jpg

Take some moar pics of these frags so I can see how well they healed.

see above ^^^^^^^^^^^

mechishark7

Well My Evolve 8 will have a scolly centerpiece but mostly it will be Softies. Plates make nice centerpieces as well. It all depends on how you want to go about it.

I like the LPS simply because I like to watch them eat.

WOW! That may change my mind on LPSs

WOW! That may change my mind on LPSs

Just keep in mind those are time lapse videos some of those corals will take about 15 minutes or so to actually finish all those motions.

mechishark7

So heres and update...

I just typed up a whole big update only to accidentally reload the page :angry:

So heres just some pics of the new additions

F8800881-2F98-4D59-A5CA-EB6CB992AAC1_zps

Not new, but just a cool pic

4825ABA2-B478-461F-BF15-1970B930F40B_zps

again, just a cool pic

9B3A4171-1C4C-4AA4-8BD2-C82EF7052C05_zps

Holy Snails! My CUC from Reef Cleaners came in...it was supposed to only be 6 snails.

CE2061F9-307A-4986-B38A-CD1439176A18_zps

Converted my Spec II to SW after my Green Spotted Puffer died :tears: . I ordered a Randalli Pistol Shrimp for this tank.

31393271-DDD1-4C03-B459-2536AE6B405F_zps

My new Yellow Clown Goby. I was going to get a Citrinis Clown Goby, but got this guy instead since he is smaller and much more vibrant. I think I'll play off his 1 inch size and name him "Titan."

5FE215FB-8169-4731-AD90-9388B5CB848D_zps

Some of the new zoas I picked up, visible on the right of this pic ^^^

E1C1FBF0-B868-4677-B5DE-F91126FD9A93_zps

Zoa rock I picked out of the $9.95 section of the frag tank at my new LFS (not petco anymore)

0416C8BD-43EE-4F3C-BBB9-D7C6F39D889D_zps

There are more than a half dozen of these guys, they look like rockstar supernovas?

4733076C-111D-458F-A495-5261E0E388E5_zps

39829DE3-33B0-43D1-AA1E-A5681EF1FA13_zps

Any ID on these guys would be appreciated, considering I'm still a noob. Anyone know of a zoa classification or index?

Archived