Coral Vue Hydros

16g Bow Front

bobbyb323

Just got a 16g bow front, installed 32watt 50/50 and it works great. Don't see the point of high wattage in nano-reefs where

depth of water is not that great(less than 14"). I had a 29g with 2x55 and had great growth rates. I am only keeping zoos, mushrooms and a few soft corals though. What's your opinion?

Undertheradar

The polyps you mention are among the lowest light corals around...they can be propigated in a vat with a 40watt bulb. Try growing (growing, not just keeping alive) SPS or clams under that light and you'll make a very expensive mistake.

i agree. those are very "beginner" corals that thrive under a variety of conditions. i have seen those types of corals actually kept under Normal Output lighting. my 25 sustained life with 2x65 PC's but with 250W HQI halide it has really boosted my corals colors and thier rate of growth has doubled or tripled. lets also not forget that water quality is probably the #1 determinate of "success". lighting is a close second.

i guess that the take home point is that different corals have different requirements. and what you are keeping works under those conditions!!

AReeferIsExpensive

i have a 16bow and i think that its deep~ Theres a sig. difference in coloration in my corals from the top of the tank to the bottom...which changes if i reposition them.....

I have a 16g aga bow with 96w quad 50/50, what are my limits for corals? I have some zoos, polyps, but was wondering what my limitations are?

I don't they should be labeled "begginer" corals at all. True, they are easier to keep, but even the advanced aquarist can enjoy them.

My 16ga Bow currently has a 28w 50/50 PC on it, and is sustaining mushrooms, candy cane, and zoos. But, I feel the light intensity and color still leave much to be desired.

That is why I am upgrading to a 150w MH.

-Justin

Jmt what 150w halide light are you thinking of? I am interested in a upgrade that would fit the 16g aga bow.

AReeferIsExpensive

sno- i kept a RBTA in my 16 w/ 96ws successfully.

Check out championlighting.com..

they are having a sale right now and you can pick up a prewired kit w/ the E ballast, pendant, and 150w bulb and just hang it from your ceiling

Archived